GPS inaccuracy since beginning of May?

biciklanto
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 7
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Frequent
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Google Maps, GPSTest, Strava
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Since roughly the beginning of May, seemingly after a device update, I've had issues with GPS precision and accuracy. In the past, I was thrilled with how well the phone handled challenging circumstances, including Strava activity tracking through deep slot canyons (with strong track matching in both directions).
Now, I have major issues with tracking, which also extends to activities like using navigation in Google Maps: it sometimes hangs at an intersection and then I don't know how to proceed, being well past it. GPSTest will also show that it can't get a lock on location despite sattelites being all over the place.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

(here is a screenshot showing a failed Strava track as I walked down that street. You see that the track line jumps up and down and back and forth, when it should have just been a single, clean line to the right of the street.)
screenshot-20210607-223948127.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

TestUser
Star I
Hi,
I searced a little bit, and found this (hope you have the WW Version). For downgrade i found this on the Asus Website. This can be found, when you scroll down to the date 2021/03/26
Source: i cant post links (its very annoying), therefore you have to search in google for "Asus Zenfone 7 update". Then you will find the changelog for the zenfone series 7. There you can find this downgrade information
ZenFone 7 / ZenFone 7 Pro (ZS670KS / ZS671KS) Software downgrade from Android 11 to target Image Version: WW-29.14.53.23 (Android 10) for WW SKU only.
※ Before you start the downgrade, please make sure all pictures, important data finished the backup.
The downgrade process will erase all data to be a new system. ASUS company would not not be responsible for the risk of data loss.
Steps of Update:
1. Download the firmware to internal storage.
2. Remove Google Account.
3. Pull down the quick setting list.
4. The system will pop up a message which detected a firmware update info.
5. Execute the downgrade firmware file.

* If you skip step 5, and you don't know how to trigger the downgrade process again. Please reboot the system, and the downgrade info will pop up again.
Hope it helps

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
I don't want to downgrade, I want them to fix their phone's software, it's not even one year old and they already moved to Zenfone 8...
If downgrading is a solution, better switch to another phone with better software and support if it's to start from scratch again.
Between this and the native apps not working anymore in the background (see the notifications thread), I'm seriously planning to switch in a couple of months if nothing is done by ASUS.
I loved the phone and loved the fact that it does not have a notch or camera hole, but since these issues and the fact that ASUS does nothing, I'm considering avoiding ASUS phones in the future.

TestUser
Star I

morenomiguel1986

I don't want to downgrade, I want them to fix their phone's software, it's not even one year old and they already moved to Zenfone 8...

If downgrading is a solution, better switch to another phone with better software and support if it's to start from scratch again.

Between this and the native apps not working anymore in the background (see the notifications thread), I'm seriously planning to switch in a couple of months if nothing is done by ASUS.

I loved the phone and loved the fact that it does not have a notch or camera hole, but since these issues and the fact that ASUS does nothing, I'm considering avoiding ASUS phones in the future.

View post
I understand this, I only wanted to provide a workaround, since Asus does not provide any update to fix the issue.
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/170757#Comment_170757

This is not a know issue

1. First you should factory reset your phone without restoring a backup file. You may still backup your images, SMS and so on but don't restore any backup file.
  2. If it's still not working, then downgrade to A10.
    1. If it's still not working, then send in for repair.
    2. if it works with A10, then upgrade to A11 again and check if it's working.
      1. if it works after A11, then install all your apps
      2. if it stopped working with A11, then please let me know and we will try to find out why

View post
Downgrading, and upgrading again was written by Anders_Asus and stated as possible solution.

fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
Downgrade and upgrade back fixes NOTHING. When I started to notice the notifications issue on A11 I reset my phone to factory at least 4 times and one time I downgraded to 10 and then upgraded back to 11. The issue was still there....fast forward to a week ago, I had to use gps to walk to certain address....I can only say it took me 10 minutes to figure out in which direction to go since the gps was either jumping around or was looking as I was not moving at all. I restarted google maps at least 10 times until it started to function a little better so I could know where to head to ...so from my experience downgrading and upgrading back does not work...
What it is strange is that I only noticed gps issues while walking...in car it was working just fine. ...so I have no clue what it is going on( it is good I don't use that often while walking...)
What it works is downgrade to A10 and remain there...I had 0 issues with A10.... The problem is that I always want latest and greatest version ....

Hi,
I also have a gps issue while driving and it's super annoying.
It used to be flawless when i bought this zenfone 7 in october 2020.
I don't honestly remember since when it started to bugs but it's been some weeks.
Whenever i use google maps or waze while driving, it loses signal after a few moment. I tried to close and restart the gps many times without success.
I have tried to wipe my phone but there's no improvement at all.

ASUS Team we need answers please. What should we do?!

Best regards,

Alex.