This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging problem with 3rd party charger

cytrus224
Rising Star I
Hey, i have some problems charging zenfone8 with Baseus GAN2 PRO 65w charger. If i connect the phone to the first type-c it will charge 1%, maybe 2% and it won't keep charging, however i see double thunderbolt icon next to the battery and its says its fastcharging on the lockscreen.
If i connect it to second type-c, it charges normally, but i think only 18W.
I'm using type-c cable capable of 100w charging via usb-PD
43 REPLIES 43

cytrus224
Rising Star I
laci.kara

I used an Acer laptop 45w PD charger, a Dell monitor PD connected (no display support, just charging) and a car QC4 charger (can't remember the brand) and all worked great.

So check with Baseus what is the difference between the two slots

/update, I have checked it. Both type C slots are the same 60+ Watt. Only the total power is limited when more than one slots used, then the first one is limited to 45W the second to 18W but only when both used. So can not be the phone's fault if the first don't work.

View post
There must me some bug with phone<>charger negotiations when comes to charging, phone just won't charge in the first port. I have another phone that charges fine on all ports with 18W fast charge its capable of.

laci_kara
Rising Star I
cytrus224

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/179090#Comment_179090

There must me some bug with phone<>charger negotiations when comes to charging, phone just won't charge in the first port. I have another phone that charges fine on all ports with 18W fast charge its capable of.

View post
You can have either one faulty it is up to you if You say the phone is.

ngzhehai
Star I
laci.kara

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/179094#Comment_179094

You can have either one faulty it is up to you if You say the phone is.

View post
I have the exact same model charger from the same manufacturer. I'm also having the exact same problem. The phone only charges about 3-5% if I attempt to charge via USB c. However, it is possible to have it charge normally by repeatedly plugging and unplugging it. It might then proceed to charge as normal during 1 of those tries. I've monitored the charging current, and it works normally until the current hits about 4A and it just stops. This combination suggests that it's some negotiation issue between phone and charger.

I've tested combinations of original /3rd party cable / charger and I'm pretty sure that they work. This charger also works to fast charge a note 20 that is also specced for PD3 pps. It also properly powers a laptop and surface tablet. All this suggests that the Z8 is some how not negotiating correctly. Or somehow the other manufactures are more tolerant of faults.
I can still charge it overnight via a slow USB port, but considering that something as basic as a charging protocol doesn't seem to work right. Colour me disappointed..

cytrus224
Rising Star I
Any updates on this issue ASUS? I want to use 3rd party chargers with fast charging.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
I wish all proprietary solutions willa be abandoned. For me PD is enough. But still think Asus should take a look at charger power negotiations - sth is wrong, shouldn't occur on PD charger.
I confirm there is some issue on 1st port of that baseus charger with zf8.
All that charging standards is a mess. I also noticed problem (not related to ZF8) with 3in1 cable on greencell charger - it does not allow fast charge... No problem on other charger...
Ps. Maybe it is some issue between PD and Asus charging settings (steady charging) which affects negotiations with charger.