This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Banding, Black Crush A11

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after thinking quite some time I had to wonder, how is it that a guy like me with no prior knowledge how to compile a linux kernel or any C knowledge was able to fix the Rog3's worst issue within a week of work, while a team of hired developers cannot seem to fix this issue after over an entire year.
The new Android 11 was quite stable, snappy and clean as far as I can tell, hence I doubt it has anything to do with being competent, I'm quite sure the devs could fix this issue, however I suspect they aren't allowed to change the calibration due to licensing issues with pixelworks. I spoke with a mod about some audio related changes, but I got confirmed that due to licensing only dirac would be allowed to change anything. I suspect the same can be said for the display, hence this is my theory as to why nothing has happened even over after 1 year, also I doubt, that it will ever be fixed at this point, given that Android 11 was the next big release. It's a shame really because other than the display calibration issue, the Rog3 would have been the only recommendable Phone from the Rog Lineup it's a shame.
For those who are still not aware of what color banding is:
This is A11 stock, as can be seen, the colors are off and black pixalated areas appear all over darker areas.
img-20210725-174124.jpg
Here is my A11 beta kernel with where the display is calibrated:
img-20210725-175435.jpg
The colors are back and most importantly there is no weird grey pixalation anymore on the scene.

Another example:
This is A11 stock, weird black pixalation appearing all over the place, image is oddly greyed out and just terrible overall quality.
img-20210725-174128.jpg

Here with my A11 beta kernel:
img-20210725-175239.jpg

Last comparison to make the final point here:
A11 stock, pixalation all over the place, colors washed out, purple pixels now appearing all over the place once again.
img-20210725-174142.jpg

My A11 Beta Kernel:
img-20210725-175455.jpg

It's honestly dissapointing to see that there are obviously massive issues to fix a simple calibration issue. I think ASUS should stop hiring 3rd party companies to fk up something that would have been otherwise completely fine and now it seems they are in a situation where their hands are tied due to licensing issues. It seems the only way to have a proper Rog3 experience is to literally be a developer.
14 REPLIES 14

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/178303#Comment_178303

So they increased the resolution for androids and iOS? All I remember was the iPad throttling due to high resolution

Does our phone have 1080p on genshin then?

View post
To my knowledge the resolution has only changed on IOS and only if the game detects an Ipad.

MV
Rising Star II
It's correct that ipad was changed from 720 to 1600, but there were many changes for android as well, even though capped at 720p, on highest viewing distance and every other setting maxed out, fps drops to lower 30s. Just imagine what the scenario is on spiral abyss. Without recording the game is playable at 40 fps during battles and 55+ on stand still( no character movement). Not sure if it was just my device on A11 beta. Before 1.6 I was nearing 50fps during hardcore battles.

MV
Rising Star II
Couldn't attach earlier.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

It's correct that ipad was changed from 720 to 1600, but there were many changes for android as well, even though capped at 720p, on highest viewing distance and every other setting maxed out, fps drops to lower 30s. Just imagine what the scenario is on spiral abyss. Without recording the game is playable at 40 fps during battles and 55+ on stand still( no character movement). Not sure if it was just my device on A11 beta. Before 1.6 I was nearing 50fps during hardcore battles.

View post
They havent touched drawing distance at all. Also i have still the same fps as before with A11 my kernel. Basicially stuck at 60 with minor drops due to load in of map and some drops to high 40s with a ton of action happening on screen.

I dont know the cause on A11, i havent tested stock, all i know is all who updated to a11 from a10 with my kernel reported far worse performance particularly in genshin. Make of that what you will.
Stock android 10 performed slightly worse than a11. Maybe in your case lags are caused by shader cache issues.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031231/uploads/FJI9OCY2OGYO/2021-07-26-22-45-12.mp4

Couldn't attach earlier.

View post
This is your movement in front of the gate:
genshi22n.png
This is mine, up 2 date, literally made the screenshot couple of minutes ago:
screenshot-20210727-021021933.jpg
I think you understand that I'm not bsing you.