This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Banding, Black Crush A11

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after thinking quite some time I had to wonder, how is it that a guy like me with no prior knowledge how to compile a linux kernel or any C knowledge was able to fix the Rog3's worst issue within a week of work, while a team of hired developers cannot seem to fix this issue after over an entire year.
The new Android 11 was quite stable, snappy and clean as far as I can tell, hence I doubt it has anything to do with being competent, I'm quite sure the devs could fix this issue, however I suspect they aren't allowed to change the calibration due to licensing issues with pixelworks. I spoke with a mod about some audio related changes, but I got confirmed that due to licensing only dirac would be allowed to change anything. I suspect the same can be said for the display, hence this is my theory as to why nothing has happened even over after 1 year, also I doubt, that it will ever be fixed at this point, given that Android 11 was the next big release. It's a shame really because other than the display calibration issue, the Rog3 would have been the only recommendable Phone from the Rog Lineup it's a shame.
For those who are still not aware of what color banding is:
This is A11 stock, as can be seen, the colors are off and black pixalated areas appear all over darker areas.
img-20210725-174124.jpg
Here is my A11 beta kernel with where the display is calibrated:
img-20210725-175435.jpg
The colors are back and most importantly there is no weird grey pixalation anymore on the scene.

Another example:
This is A11 stock, weird black pixalation appearing all over the place, image is oddly greyed out and just terrible overall quality.
img-20210725-174128.jpg

Here with my A11 beta kernel:
img-20210725-175239.jpg

Last comparison to make the final point here:
A11 stock, pixalation all over the place, colors washed out, purple pixels now appearing all over the place once again.
img-20210725-174142.jpg

My A11 Beta Kernel:
img-20210725-175455.jpg

It's honestly dissapointing to see that there are obviously massive issues to fix a simple calibration issue. I think ASUS should stop hiring 3rd party companies to fk up something that would have been otherwise completely fine and now it seems they are in a situation where their hands are tied due to licensing issues. It seems the only way to have a proper Rog3 experience is to literally be a developer.
14 REPLIES 14

MrBlackCrush
Rising Star II
But if I'm not wrong u didn't do real fix, u only copied oneplus software that Asus can't do.
Beside this, yes it's a shame Asus didn't do any official announce about black crush, why there is this issue, if they are working to fix it etc... there is just rog phone 3 page saying the phone has perfect display xd and worse than worst, ROG PHONE 5 HAS THE SAME ISSUE LOL.
I knew the issue but I bought the phone hoping for a fix that, at this point, will never come.
And I will never root the phone or do all those strange things, I prefer having black crush than risking to have even worse issues by installing unofficial stuff

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
himverma2012

Then maybe we should raise the concern with pixelworks and educate them about what their developers are doing and what a non-coder can do regarding the colour banding.

I was seriously waiting for Asus to come up with the fix, since one of the mod commented in Beta forum that "they're close to find the fix". They mentioned that they couldn't apply the fix which you've done in your kernel owing to certain issues (perhaps the licensing issue only).

But since, their hands are tied to apply a simple fix, I most of the users will want to unlock their bootloader and apply the kernel. Only thing stopping me is that I'm scared that banking apps might not work on unlocked bootloader.

Is it possible/advisable to unlock bootloader, apply the kernel and relock the bootloader? I don't mind flashing the updates manually.

View post
As I said it's a theory, for all we know ASUS might just not give a fk or they don't do it to make people purcahse the Rog5, but as you mentioned, it's sad to see the terrible state of the display.
Banking apps only have issues on rooted devices, not unlocked bootloader devices. That being said you can still use root with banking apps no problem, I do so myself and you can easily use magiskhide to make the root undetectable.
I didn't even release my A11 kernel yet. So far I'm working on some other things on the kernel but time isnt really something I have a lot of lately.
simo97.codega

But if I'm not wrong u didn't do real fix, u only copied oneplus software that Asus can't do.

Beside this, yes it's a shame Asus didn't do any official announce about black crush, why there is this issue, if they are working to fix it etc... there is just rog phone 3 page saying the phone has perfect display xd and worse than worst, ROG PHONE 5 HAS THE SAME ISSUE LOL.

I knew the issue but I bought the phone hoping for a fix that, at this point, will never come.

And I will never root the phone or do all those strange things, I prefer having black crush than risking to have even worse issues by installing unofficial stuff

View post
It evolved into my own fix at this point. It goes far beyond what oneplus did in their kernel. Many people, including me have critized ASUS for their lack of transperency, users never know what is being worked on and how far things are, the entire secrecy from ASUS side only makes things much worse.

As for your last statement, my kernel has way more optimizations and fixes than just the display, the phone runs much more smooth, lasts longer on battery, has way better performance in games as well, this is also the reason why people on my discord won't upgrade to Android 11, as they don't want to lose my Kernel.
Here is a quote as an example:
kernellul-jpg.jpg
At this point it's safe to say, if you want the true potential of your phone, a custom kernel is a must. That being said, since my Kernel is closed source, the only real concern you should have is that I do not have any malicious intent, which is a valid argument to not want to install my kernel, that being said, there is an excellent kernel out there that is also open source, which is from Tbalden, it's the "Cleanslate" kernel for the Rog3, I would absolutely recommend it as it offers many nice features but retains being stock.

MV
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/178272#Comment_178272

As I said it's a theory, for all we know ASUS might just not give a fk or they don't do it to make people purcahse the Rog5, but as you mentioned, it's sad to see the terrible state of the display.

Banking apps only have issues on rooted devices, not unlocked bootloader devices. That being said you can still use root with banking apps no problem, I do so myself and you can easily use magiskhide to make the root undetectable.

I didn't even release my A11 kernel yet. So far I'm working on some other things on the kernel but time isnt really something I have a lot of lately.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/178297#Comment_178297

It evolved into my own fix at this point. It goes far beyond what oneplus did in their kernel. Many people, including me have critized ASUS for their lack of transperency, users never know what is being worked on and how far things are, the entire secrecy from ASUS side only makes things much worse.

As for your last statement, my kernel has way more optimizations and fixes than just the display, the phone runs much more smooth, lasts longer on battery, has way better performance in games as well, this is also the reason why people on my discord won't upgrade to Android 11, as they don't want to lose my Kernel.

Here is a quote as an example:

kernellul-jpg.jpg

At this point it's safe to say, if you want the true potential of your phone, a custom kernel is a must. That being said, since my Kernel is closed source, the only real concern you should have is that I do not have any malicious intent, which is a valid argument to not want to install my kernel, that being said, there is an excellent kernel out there that is also open source, which is from Tbalden, it's the "Cleanslate" kernel for the Rog3, I would absolutely recommend it as it offers many nice features but retains being stock.

View post
Genshin had an update recently which changed graphics cap on mobile version. It was on version 1.6 where the cap to resolution was changed. So if anyone complains of low fps at high graphics with everything maxed, they are bound to get low fps, be it any device after 1.6 update.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/178300#Comment_178300

Genshin had an update recently which changed graphics cap on mobile version. It was on version 1.6 where the cap to resolution was changed. So if anyone complains of low fps at high graphics with everything maxed, they are bound to get low fps, be it any device after 1.6 update.

View post
Nope, it was the kernel difference.

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/178300#Comment_178300

View post
So they increased the resolution for androids and iOS? All I remember was the iPad throttling due to high resolution
Does our phone have 1080p on genshin then?