Star I
System: Zenbook Pro Duo
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UX582
Frequency of occurrence: every time
Reset OS: Latest Windows 10
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:I'm trying to output my Zenbook Pro Duo UX582 system to a Dell U4021QW which is 5120 x 2160 resolution. The max refresh rate I can get when plugged in either via HDMI or USB-C Thunderbolt is 30Hz instead of 60Hz. I've tried a a variety of cables, reinstalled video drivers...nothing helps. If I drop the resolution down to anything less than the native resolution 60Hz is available but not at the native screen resolution of 5120 x 2160. I would think it could support considering USB-C Thunderbolt 3. I've tried using the screen as an extended screen and as my only screen with the laptop lid open and closed. No difference.
Monitor specs show: Native Resolution
WUHD 5120 x 2160 (DisplayPort: 60 Hz, HDMI: 30 Hz)
But why wouldn't this work using the USB-C Thunderbolt ports which are advertised to support DisplayPort connection, and the 40 Gbps bandwidth lets you connect an external 8K display or two 4K UHD displays.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Mnixon76
Star I
Thanks for the follow-up. I have two follow up questions in response to the specifications you stated:
1) I’m confused: The HDMI port on the UX582LR is rated as a 2.1 HDMI port which according to those specifications should support the following:
“HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI® specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.”
(source: HDMI. ORG)
You wrote: “The maximum resolution and frequency of display export for this model are HDMI 4096x2304@30Hz”
So wouldn’t the UX582 be able to output far more than what you stated since it’s HDMI 2.1?

2) On the Asus Website the specifications for the UX582 state the following:
“NEXT-GENERATION CONNECTIVITY
For easy connections to peripherals, ZenBook Pro Duo 15 OLED has comprehensive high-performance I/O capabilities including a pair of the latest Thunderbolt™ 4 USB-C® ports. These support Power Delivery and DisplayPort, and the 40 Gbps bandwidth lets you connect an external 8K display or two 4K UHD displays, or connect a display while still enjoying high-speed data transfers on the second port.”
(source: Asus website product page)
Your wrote: “Type C 4096 x 2304@60Hz” (that equals only a 4K display not 8K)
So again, if the UX582 Asus website says 8K display via the Thunderbolt ports, why are you stating it’s only 4K max?

If you could help me understand the discrepancies that would be appreciated since I purchased this laptop with those advertised specifications in mind.

Mnixon76
Star I
I guess what you’re saying is the UX582LR model has more limited capabilities then is advertised on the website and the specifications vary by the model (this should really be advertised more clearly then - as in state exactly what they are per model rather than simply “they may vary by model”)
If it’s not HDMI 2.1 what is the HDMI version on the UX582LR?
I understand the Thunderbolt version on the UX582LR is version 3 on this model (not Thunderbolt 4) and that the intel graphics limits the refresh rate to 30 at 5K2K resolution even though Thunderbolt 3 has the theoretical bandwidth to display 60p at that resolution.
Can you share with me which model of the UX582 has Thunderbolt 4 and can display up to an 8K monitor then as advertised on the Asus website?
That would be helpful in case I want to purchase that instead.

Thanks!

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Mnixon,
I'm really sorry, let me clarify the whole thing again for you. Sorry for bringing the confusion.
Please refer to the information below for the latest update.
The maximum resolution and frequency for UX582LR HDMI 2.1 is 8k 60Hz.
The maximum resolution and frequency for UX582LR Type C is 4k 60Hz.
The information on our website will be adjust soon.
Thank you so much for sharing us the feedback.

Mnixon76
Star I
Thanks for for the clarification!
Time to look for an HDMI 2.1 capable monitor then! 🙂
I really appreciate your responses - take care!