This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark mode on messenger

theotime_fasque
Star II
The system dark mode on my Zenfone 8 is conflicting with messenger theme badly. Conversations are unreadable when the dark mode is activated in the system regardless of the theme selected in the app.
Phone and app both in light mode :
screenshot-20210625-182208394.jpg

Messenger in light mode and phone in dark mode :
screenshot-20210625-182221880.jpg

Messenger and phone both in dark mode :
screenshot-20210625-182124412.jpg

Messenger in dark mode and phone in light mode :
screenshot-20210625-182149323.jpg

The latter should be displayed also when app and phone are both in dark mode. I should not need to switch my phone to light mode every time I open messenger and switch again when closing app. This was working fine on my Zenfone 5z.
10 REPLIES 10

theotime_fasque
Star II
CH_ASUS

FB Messenger -> Settings -> Dark mode -> "As system".

Then in Settings -> Display -> System color scheme.

Even with FB Messenger's own settings set to either light or dark, and the reverse on ZenUI system, the color in Messenger follows Messenger setting. If it is set "as system" it follows system.

And both ways, the colors turn out as expected:

screenshot-20210701-180739410-li.jpg

screenshot-20210701-180729966-li.jpg

View post
Well on my phone colors are not as expected.
If my phone is in light mode colors follow messenger settings but if the system is in dark mode colors are messed up. Th "as system" setting gives the same result.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app and it's still bugged. App and system are both up to date

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
theotime.fasquelle

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174573#Comment_174573

Well on my phone colors are not as expected.

If my phone is in light mode colors follow messenger settings but if the system is in dark mode colors are messed up. Th "as system" setting gives the same result.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app and it's still bugged. App and system are both up to date

View post
Could you try the recommendations given here? It could be that FB Messenger isnt reading the Android toggles correctly. Do you happen to have "Force Dark" enabled also for any other app (I know FB messenger cant be selected).
Why is half of Facebook and FB messenger all white and unreadable? - Google Pixel Community
Hi. Quick fix is to turn the Android theme to light mode (default). Go into the messenger app and switch to light mode (default) there aswell. Then go back to settings and turn dark android theme on again and likewise in the messenger app. 

theotime_fasque
Star II
This doesn't fix the issue. I also noticed that the action bar is white with white button and text :
screenshot-20210710-165141436.jpg
screenshot-20210710-165112977.jpg
The force dark mode is toggled off for all apps, but as I sayed earlier, this setting is broken : some apps are still white even with the force dark mode on.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
theotime.fasquelle

This doesn't fix the issue. I also noticed that the action bar is white with white button and text :

screenshot-20210710-165141436.jpg

screenshot-20210710-165112977.jpg

The force dark mode is toggled off for all apps, but as I sayed earlier, this setting is broken : some apps are still white even with the force dark mode on.

View post
The android force dark is not a catch-all. It doesnt work 100%. Apps arent all coded correctly either. So far, that is expected.

For FB Messenger, I cant really reproduce what is wrong, in dark theme having a dark navbar with white keys is not strange.

ralphpoy
Star I
Is anyone having the same problem?
screenshot-20210723-233713030.jpg
This happens most of the time