Star II
Hello Everyone,
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5
Firmware Version: 18.0840.2104.56
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Perpetual
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I got my ROG Phone 5 a couple of days ago from the authorized dealer Flipkart in India.
The battery life is abysmally low for 6000 mah, especially considering i barely played any games or used the phone for any performance demanding task. Would appreciate prompt response, if it turns out to be a genuine issue with phone i still have about 32 hours left to get a refund/replacement from flipkart.
screenshot-20210719-214638459.jpg
screenshot-20210719-214655208.jpg
Most Concerning : How is it that Android System, Ambient Display, Phone Idle, Mobile Network Standby have such high battery drain ?
1) Phone is set to dynamic mode. And mostly used with 5ghz wifi signal for data needs.
2) Location is always turned off unless specifically allowed for a couple of apps.
3) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Scanning is off.
4) 5G is disabled, and phone data is forced off ie not allowed to remain always enabled, in developer options.
5) Using 2 Sims, 1 - 3G and 1 - 4G.
6) have tried charging from 0 to 100 as well as a factory reset.
7) Charging the battery with asus bundled 30 watt fast charger.
😎 Screen brightness is set to adaptive but the phone has been exclusively used indoors.
9) Refresh rate for the display is set to auto.
10) Most commonly used apps are facebook, whatsapp, chrome, youtube, spotify, zomato.
Kindly assist, i really like the phone otherwise but this battery life is unacceptable 😞

Regards, Gaurav

17 REPLIES 17

ReaperZ_Wolf
Zen Master I
Android System, Ambient Display, Phone Idle, Mobile Network Standby. For these you need to reset the phone.

PinkFires
Rising Star I
I noticed that, for the first week I used the phone, the battery life was horrid, but then it seemed to get better. There's always an adjustment period in which the phone needs time to understand your usage, and only then will it be able to give you a more accurate prediction of battery life and be able to optimize the usage of the battery in accordance to your needs and normal usage.

That said, I do think the recent updates to the software have made battery life considerably worse. I'm hoping ASUS addresses this in upcoming updates. I'm anxiously awaiting .58 at this point lol.

ghost_z
Star II
PinkFires

I noticed that, for the first week I used the phone, the battery life was horrid, but then it seemed to get better. There's always an adjustment period in which the phone needs time to understand your usage, and only then will it be able to give you a more accurate prediction of battery life and be able to optimize the usage of the battery in accordance to your needs and normal usage.

That said, I do think the recent updates to the software have made battery life considerably worse. I'm hoping ASUS addresses this in upcoming updates. I'm anxiously awaiting .58 at this point lol.

View post
What's the avg sot you get with dynamic mode and refresh rate set to auto ?

PinkFires
Rising Star I
ghost_z

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177304#Comment_177304

What's the avg sot you get with dynamic mode and refresh rate set to auto ?

View post
It honestly really depends for me because I play a LOT with it. But today I had it up for 8 hours and an SoT of around 5 hours, and all of those 5 hours I was playing games with it that all had their max settings on.

I've also achieved 1 and a half day of stand-by with around 6 hours of social media and gaming. Overall it's not bad but I do wish it was a bit better. I still think it can be better with a software update.

ghost_z
Star II
ReaperZ_Wolf

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177161#Comment_177161

1.Drain battery to 0,( Phone would switch off by itself, try to turn on and ensure that no more juice left to power it on again)

2. Leave 30 mins,

3. Charge at Switch-off condition to 100,

4. Switch it on the device,

5. Then again Switch off and charge for 30 mins,

6. Unplug and phone to cool down for 30 mins.

Now after 30mins of cool down use you phone as you would.

View post
After doing this there is some improvement in battery life.

PinkFires

View post
I guess this makes sense too, i will use the phone for a week or 2 and see how it goes. At the moment, i have decided to keep the phone since everything else is brilliant and i doubt there is another phone that can provide me all these key USPs it has.