Star II
Hello Everyone,
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5
Firmware Version: 18.0840.2104.56
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Perpetual
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I got my ROG Phone 5 a couple of days ago from the authorized dealer Flipkart in India.
The battery life is abysmally low for 6000 mah, especially considering i barely played any games or used the phone for any performance demanding task. Would appreciate prompt response, if it turns out to be a genuine issue with phone i still have about 32 hours left to get a refund/replacement from flipkart.
screenshot-20210719-214638459.jpg
screenshot-20210719-214655208.jpg
Most Concerning : How is it that Android System, Ambient Display, Phone Idle, Mobile Network Standby have such high battery drain ?
1) Phone is set to dynamic mode. And mostly used with 5ghz wifi signal for data needs.
2) Location is always turned off unless specifically allowed for a couple of apps.
3) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Scanning is off.
4) 5G is disabled, and phone data is forced off ie not allowed to remain always enabled, in developer options.
5) Using 2 Sims, 1 - 3G and 1 - 4G.
6) have tried charging from 0 to 100 as well as a factory reset.
7) Charging the battery with asus bundled 30 watt fast charger.
😎 Screen brightness is set to adaptive but the phone has been exclusively used indoors.
9) Refresh rate for the display is set to auto.
10) Most commonly used apps are facebook, whatsapp, chrome, youtube, spotify, zomato.
Kindly assist, i really like the phone otherwise but this battery life is unacceptable 😞

Regards, Gaurav

17 REPLIES 17

ghost_z
Star II
ReaperZ_Wolf

Try this. Honestly speaking many have reported this. After every firmware upgrade battery problem starts. I do a full firmware flash and do a battery calibration always .Also i request you to share additional details like what battery mode are you using?

View post
Will try, thanks for elaborating.
I am using the dynamic preset and the battery menu's screenshot has been attached in the original post itself, if you need something else or more specific, let me know.

ReaperZ_Wolf
Zen Master I
ghost_z

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177163#Comment_177163

Will try, thanks for elaborating.

I am using the dynamic preset and the battery menu's screenshot has been attached in the original post itself, if you need something else or more specific, let me know.

View post
After calibration depending upon usage you should atleast extract 8hrs of SOT (till 10% battery) depending upon the type of app usage in the dynamic mode. My advice to you for the longevity of your phone is to keep the phone charged to 80% next time onwards. It gives you atleast 5.30hrs SOT. Again you may also use the advanced battery mode too further enhance the battery lasting. You may check out the other threads where i have detailed it out with screenshot.

ghost_z
Star II
ReaperZ_Wolf

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177168#Comment_177168

After calibration depending upon usage you should atleast extract 8hrs of SOT (till 10% battery) depending upon the type of app usage in the dynamic mode. My advice to you for the longevity of your phone is to keep the phone charged to 80% next time onwards. It gives you atleast 5.30hrs SOT. Again you may also use the advanced battery mode too further enhance the battery lasting. You may check out the other threads where i have detailed it out with screenshot.

View post
That is all good advice but my point is shouldnt a 6000 mah battery running a 5nm soc be able to provide sot in excess of 10hours without resorting to such measures and tweaks ?

ReaperZ_Wolf
Zen Master I
Normally at 60hz you can get 9+ hrs. I have shown same results many times

ghost_z
Star II
ReaperZ_Wolf

Normally at 60hz you can get 9+ hrs. I have shown same results many times

View post
Ok so you are saying that for rog phone 5 , 8 hours sot with refresh set to auto and mode set to dynamic is the norm. And for any higher sot we need tweaks. Is this true for most of us here on this forum ?
Fair point. But all this still does not explain why or how can Android System, Ambient Display, Phone Idle, Mobile Network Standby have such high battery drain ?
I hope an asus supp rep or dev can answer this, because if what you are saying is true and the avg sot is somewhere around 8 hours then this is a clear case of software not being able to use the available resources efficiently.