This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Wifi performance/jitter compared to other phones

Zinurist
Star II
The Wifi connection seems to be really unstable with the Zenfone 8. Sometimes it hangs for minutes, and in general it seems to be too slow.
I tested it with other phones, they have no problems and are much faster. That's why I think this a problem with the Zenfone specifically.
I made a simple speed test (with the ookla app), here are the results (all using the same Wifi network):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone | Download in Mbps | Upload in Mbps | Jitter in ms
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zenfone 8 | 18 | 36 | 90
Samsung Galaxy S8 | 83 | 42 | 36
iPhone 12 | 82 | 42 | 0.4
On some runs, the Zenfone would even only manage a speed of 0.2-0.3 Mbps (which is I guess when it "hangs").
I think the cause is Jitter. I tried disconnecting most other devices in the Wifi network, and I did manage a better run with 27 Mbps, but only once.
I really don't get why the Zenfone is consistently worse than even a 4 year old phone.
15 REPLIES 15

Zinurist
Star II
@me.0mby8 thanks, it does seem to not like the specific wifi AP I was using, it's a Fritz WLAN Repeater (negotiated speed of 144Mbps). I connected the phone to my main fritz box directly now (negotiated speed: 192Mbps), and it manages 20-40 Mbps (usually 20 when there's high jitter, else 40), roughly half of the other phones, but it looks much more stable at least.
I'll have to see if I still have browsing problems.
If anyone's curious, the specific models are Fritz WLAN Repeater 450E, and Fritz!Box 7590.

me_0mby8
Star III
Do check if the repeater has any update available. Let's see if asus team will be able to do something about it or if you are feeling like you'd like to tinker then give openwrt a spin (https://openwrt.org/toh/avm/avm_fritz_wlan_repeater_450e) (you will be losing the fritz interface on the repeater and so if it has like some one click mesh function then that too but you'll probably be able to configure it manually on openwrt)
Or maybe even try contacting the repeater company about it but I really have no idea how they respond for things such as this.

cicagorio
Rising Star II
meso.erik

@Elmir I think there is an issue indicated in your screenshot linked to Zenfone 8 - down speed is the only indicator where Z8 is better...but it's not the most relevant in my view (whether you have 100Mbps or 20Mbps download speed...your browsing experience is pretty much the same however worse ping/jitter/packet loss will have much bigger impact on the browsing experience in general)

View post
So as I said it was a bad signal area, Samsung was a few cm closer to the router. I also ran the tests sequentially so there might have been some interference when I was running it on the Zenfone 8. I have rerun the test multiple times and had no issues. I also have not experienced any wifi issues so far.

Irene2_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi @Zinurist,
I just wanted to check if everything is working fine still since your latest post?

jrzenfone8
Star III
Hi I'm on an area with (very) good coverage and for me it works well, first screenshot is 4G, second is WiFi very close to the router (which then has fiber optics), and third same router but from another room.

screenshot-20210817-022802408-1.jpg
screenshot-20210817-023312438-1.jpg
screenshot-20210817-023711854-1.jpg