cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen flicker still occurs while using Chrome

Gabe
Star I
Using ROG Phone 2 8gb/128 (ASUS_I001DD)
Firmware 17.0240.2105.90 (non rooted, all original)
Chrome 91.0.4472.120
Always happens when there's a small video window running while scrolling through a website (normally those video ads).
The entire screen flickers a little depending on the colors shown on the website and on the video, like if the device seem to be trying to auto calibrate the screen to the right setting but just can't and keep trying, changing between different screen contrast and maybe other auto settings.
It's not a new problem. Plagues my device since I bought it (last year), but the latest update said this would be fixed while using 120hz and so far it's not.
The "Splendid" video calibration is set to "cinematic". I can't say for sure, but seems to be linked to this splendid thing.
Thanks in advance and I hope Asus can take a look into it.

8 REPLIES 8

ronald1985
Community Legend I
Gabe

Using ROG Phone 2 8gb/128 (ASUS_I001DD)

Firmware 17.0240.2105.90 (non rooted, all original)

Chrome 91.0.4472.120

Always happens when there's a small video window running while scrolling through a website (normally those video ads).

The entire screen flickers a little depending on the colors shown on the website and on the video, like if the device seem to be trying to auto calibrate the screen to the right setting but just can't and keep trying, changing between different screen contrast and maybe other auto settings.

It's not a new problem. Plagues my device since I bought it (last year), but the latest update said this would be fixed while using 120hz and so far it's not.

The "Splendid" video calibration is set to "cinematic". I can't say for sure, but seems to be linked to this splendid thing.

Thanks in advance and I hope Asus can take a look into it.

Screen flicker still occurs while using Chrome
The last time when this was reported was using YouTube website (not the app). I have tried other websites which has video ads to them, but the issues doesn't seem to appear.
Do you have a website which the video shows this is happening?

MajQ
Star II
Turn off "Android SurfaceControl".
Go to chrome://flags and disable it.

Gabe
Star I
Finally found one link that wasn't an ad causing the flicker, so it should be replicable by anyone (as ads are region dependant).
Here:
...yeah...sure...the forum won't allow me to post links cause I don't have that many posts yet... So, just add the HTTP and www before the link below
pcgamer.com/I-need-these-gorgeous-IRL-Minecraft-blocks/
In fact at 60hz the flicker doesn't occur, but it does at 90 and 120Hz.
Gonna try MajQ work-around.

Gabe
Star I
MajQ

Turn off "Android SurfaceControl".

Go to chrome://flags and disable it.

View post
You just nailed it, MajQ! It really fixes the problem! After a year it's finally fixed! Thanks a lot!!!