cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby battery drain

Salvatore
Star III
Hi,
i'm experiencing seriuos issue about battery, it's being constantly drained by cell standby with abnormal values. It's actually draining more than the display, that's unacceptable.
Can you please provide a fix/solution ?
Zenfone 8 - hardware and software details attached.
198183282-10226408916159167-3204847718508595170-n.jpg
screenshot-20210613-111801686.jpg
screenshot-20210613-111808710.jpg

123 REPLIES 123

Salvatore
Star III
woody.ww

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/176412#Comment_176412

Seems like things have been improved over the last month. Back then even airplane mode drained mobile network standby. Now, as you can see below, there's no drain there. 3% over 9 hours -> 0.33%/hour. The 3% comes almost only from "phone standby", which sounds reasonable (although doesn't match the 0% from my previous phones).

Looks like in my case there's no issue at all (especcialy compared to what @Salvatore is getting 😕 ).

Next things I will test is just disable wifi/mobile data over night. No flight mode as I want to be available for messages/calls. Another test I can do after that is changing the preferred network type from 2G/3G/4G/5G to 2G/3G/4G or even 2G/3G.

screenshot-20210714-231430216.jpg

View post
Hi Woody, i did that specific test and i can confirm that forcing network to 2G/3G makes a big difference over 2G/3G/4G. I never tried 5G because my network provider does not support it yet. Of course it was just for the sake of testing, it's clear that a device without 4G access is useless.

cicagorio
Rising Star II
Alex's

Hi guys, which system mode in battery do you use?

I mentioned that in mode advanced the cpu never goes below 1,3ghz, even the cpu is set to minimum.

I mode dynamic the cpu goes down to 0.3ghz which should be correct.

Kind regards

View post
I was using advanced with everything moved to the left, but I also saw the CPU freq never goes belo1.3, same behavior with dynamic,so leaving it in dynamic for now.

Kris_ASUS
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi all,
We are looking into these cases now.
Please update your system to the latest version. Some users thought thermal improved a lot after this version.
If you find the battery drains faster than before, please observe if it is repeatable. Because battery drain often comes from specific app secretly working in background for update or syncing data. Everything will back to normal once the app finish its task.
If you thought your battery drains fast constantly, please let me know. Thank you.
Admin

【Version】

【Model Name】

ZenFone 8 (ZS590KS)

【Release Date】

2021/07/14

Since the server pushes update notice to different serial numbers by batches, it may take some days for you to receive the FOTA notice. Thanks for your patience. You may tap “System updates” in [Settings] >[System] to check if there is new firmware available. Or, you can also try to manually update firmware by referring to the following link.

How to update firmware on my phone?

【Release Note】

1. Optimized system stability
  2. Improved Pocket mode threshold and detection
  3. Optimized phone call quality
  4. Improved camera quality
  5. Added AOD ‘Tap to show’ function
  6. Improved thermals for ASUS Camera
  7. Improved the thermals for phone calls during suspend
  8. Enabled VoLTE & VoWiFi on Vodafone & Deutsche Telekom (Netherlands)
  9. Enabled VoLTE & VoWiFi on Deutsche Telekom (Hungary)
  10. Enabled VoLTE on Vodafone (Ireland)
  11. Enabled VoWiFi on MTS (Russia)
  12. Updated Android security patch to 2021-05-05

[210712]ZenFone 8_EU_30.11.51.83

b_preslavski
Star III
Hi,
I'm with the latest update, using 4g and 60hz. Battery drains constantly. After the last update it's 1% more during night. The phones temperature never drops under 30 degrees, even in cold rooms while idle. Four of the cores of the cpu never drop to min frequency. Drain is faster when travelling(changing radio towers).
The previous zenfone had similar issues, as I read...
Please, do your best fast, or I'm returning the phone.

me_0mby8
Star III
Just for reference / comparison I'm attaching stats from a phone I've been using for 4 years, a oneplus 3t.
It's currently running a LOS 18.1 based custom rom with partial micro-g (unifiednlp and things). Last I saw some app showed the equivalent battery capacity of the phone was 2000 something mah, was few months back. But I guess it's ok. The ambient temperature (room temp) was around 33 degree Celsius according to a dht22 sensor and one more sensor. The battery app I had just installed and so the stats on that app about the run time is not correct.
The phone is connected to wifi on 2.4ghz and to mobile network on 4g. We do not have a 3g fallback which was phased out about more than a year back. So it's just Volte all the time I guess (Can be put to use 2g tho) but as for the test it's connected to 4g Volte. Haven't been travelling around with the phone either and signal strength for the tower it was connected at the time of writing is about -105dBm 35 asu (as shown in settings). The phone was last charged at night and has been discharging over night and beyond.
And molly since the absence of firebase is using websocket for getting notification and so if i'm right is supposed to use more battery compared to when using firebase ( maybe it's just really well optimized while using websockets too now coz I think that's a very reasonable battery usage but the system battery optimization for that app is turned off to keep the notifications coming)
And just for the sake of taking a poke in way and no offence intended (just for the laughs I guess) the los 18.1 based rom running on the phone is on the July security patch. ( Rom current version build date 13 July with the july 5, 2021 security patch)

screenshot-20210716-203651-281-29.png
screenshot-20210716-203651-282-29.png
screenshot-20210716-203651-283-29.png
screenshot-20210716-203651-284-29.png