This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual brightness act like auto.

Vasile_Corneliu
Rising Star II
Same story, I'm on manual brightness, now on 100%, 90Hz refresh rate and tilting, watching phone, scrolling Web on different angles dim my brightness auto. Yeah, now I use screenrec and did it 4 times already. I'll link video.
11 REPLIES 11

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
if you are viewing the display at different angles - it does affect the brightness you see. This is not unusual for all displays.
At manual 100%, HBM can activate under very high brightness conditions (sunlight) - triggering the HBM brightness mode (up to 800 nits).
If you are on Auto refresh, refresh rate can change, which can affect the gamma curve, which would seem like a brightness change but it mainly a gamma curve change.

I will merge this thread with your other one also concerning manual brightness.

keskeerik
Star III
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175950#Comment_175950

Lighting in a room changing should not affect screen brightness - when Adaptive Brightness is set to 'Off'.

When Brightness is set to "Max" in 'manual brightness' (Adaptive Brightness off) and the phone is under strong sunlight, HBM (high brightness mode) will still trigger (just like in Auto) - to boost the display for "maximum sunlight viewing ability" under sunlight.

This HBM mode will not trigger in "max brightness" in manual, if not under a very bright sunlight environment (a normal indoor lighting should not be bright enough to trigger this, either in manual or auto mode).

View post
Thank you for your reply. The "High Brightness Mode" explains the behaviour. Is there any way to manually switch HBM on or off or is it only auto with sunlight?