GPS inaccuracy since beginning of May?

biciklanto
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 7
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Frequent
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Google Maps, GPSTest, Strava
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Since roughly the beginning of May, seemingly after a device update, I've had issues with GPS precision and accuracy. In the past, I was thrilled with how well the phone handled challenging circumstances, including Strava activity tracking through deep slot canyons (with strong track matching in both directions).
Now, I have major issues with tracking, which also extends to activities like using navigation in Google Maps: it sometimes hangs at an intersection and then I don't know how to proceed, being well past it. GPSTest will also show that it can't get a lock on location despite sattelites being all over the place.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

(here is a screenshot showing a failed Strava track as I walked down that street. You see that the track line jumps up and down and back and forth, when it should have just been a single, clean line to the right of the street.)
screenshot-20210607-223948127.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

davmagnusson
Star I
Hello,
I have exactly the same problems with my Zenfone 7. The GPS issues started in early May. I have factory reset the phone three times since mid-June. The GPS works perfectly after the factory reset, but the problems come back after a week or so.
Is there any fix on its way for this issue? If not, what can I do? Downgrade to A10?
Thanks!

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
I have GPS issues since a couple of weeks, sometime it keeps jumping a few hundred meters, making it impossible to use Pokémon Go properly when walking to and from work...
Yesterday it counted 3.6 Km for a single 1.4 Km trip between my work and home, it goes back and forth a few times, it makes no sense at all.
It even causes Philips Hue app to shut off every lights when I'm at home sometimes because it thinks I left home...
I won't reset my phone or downgrade, this should not be a solution for a software issue.
As I'm also having background apps not updating as stated in the notifications thread, I guess it's already time to look for a new phone, from a different brand again. I usually switch phones every two years, this one did not even last one year because of all this software issues.

lcudst
Star II
I've used GPS with maps for 5 days in a foreign city and I faced same problems, I managed it, but it's a bug to be fixed absolutely because it's unacceptable to have a so inaccurate signal. Unreliable.

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
This is just unbelievable, how can GPS be so broken and ASUS just ignore their users...
Today I was walking back from work, usual 1.4 Km trip, and while playing Pokémon Go the GPS went crazy and kept jumping...

On my Google Maps trips it shows the same jumps as in the video, and it says I walked 2 Km...
As you can see, the darker trips were earlier today, it jumped quite a bit too...
screenshot-20210730-191333539-1-1-28petit-29.jpg
Note : even without playing my trips are jumping around sometimes, so it's not the game causing issues...

fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
I noticed the same thing while walking ..somehow this is only happening while walking for me. With the car all seems good! Don't know what yo believe