Did you mean: 

Problem with payment apps using NFC and bluetooth

Marioysikax
Star II
Model Name: Asus ROG Phone 5 16/256GB 5G
Firmware Version: 18.0840.2104.49
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Since getting the phone
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): K-Plussa-mobiilikortti (com.plussa.plussacard) 1.2.0, MobilePay (fi.danskebank.mobilepay) 5.5.0
I have accustomed to using my phone for many differend things, which does also mean stores own customer loyalty cards and payment apps outside just Google Pay. However since switching to ROG Phone 5 from OnePlus 7 Pro, these two apps just have completely stopped working for me. K-Plussa does absolutely nothing at the store (NFC app) even though Google Pay works fine. MobilePay will see the register at the store (Bluetooth) but will never get the payment info from the register.
I have been in customer service contact with both and it seems like this shouldn't be an issue with the Android directly, so what the heck is going on with ROG phone specifically? Also it appears these phones are bit rare in here, so couldn't find anyone else with same problems that I have.
Tried to clearing cache, giving all permissions, reinstalling, checking I have NFC and bluetooth on when in use, rebooting and adding to battery optimization exclusion. Nothing is helping.
8 REPLIES 8

Marioysikax
Star II
Well, Asus support was just writing me in bad translations instructions how to use Google Pay.
Asked one local forum and it appears that people have exact same issues with Zenfone 6 and 7, so it appears to be a problem either with software or hardware that Asus does in general.
So if you want to actually use your phone for things, never get Asus.

ReaperZ_Wolf
Zen Master I
FYI the NFC works as intended to. I use Google Pay and all my cards are linked to it. It works fine with all EDC machines that have NFC capabilities.

ReaperZ_Wolf
Zen Master I
Marioysikax

Well, Asus support was just writing me in bad translations instructions how to use Google Pay.

Asked one local forum and it appears that people have exact same issues with Zenfone 6 and 7, so it appears to be a problem either with software or hardware that Asus does in general.

So if you want to actually use your phone for things, never get Asus.

View post
Its a problem with the app probably or might be it doesn't support in the phone. Try Google Pay if you can.

Marioysikax
Star II
Reaperzwolf

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/176293#Comment_176293

Its a problem with the app probably or might be it doesn't support in the phone. Try Google Pay if you can.

View post
I am using Google Pay and that works, that's also the reason why Asus doesn't want to help at all, even if people are slowly focusing the problem to be on them.
Because Google Pay is just one of many payment applications, if I was using rival bank, they have their own payment app completely so I couldn't even use Google Pay, so solution of "just use the app I use" is ridiculous.
It might be a problem with the app, but considering how I have never had any issues with other manufacturers and neither are other people outside those who are using Zenfones, I'm starting to believe it's problem with Asus unless I'm proven othervice.
I'm guessing because Google Pay is installed as system app, it can bypass basically whatever asus has put in, which would explain why it works and others won't.