nakul696
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 2
Firmware Version: WW_Phone-17.0240.2105.90
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: NA
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Let's be real, this phone was only nice until the first Android 10 update came in. Since then there have constant ups and downs with the updates and now, in just 1 year it's giving some serious problems like overheating and random restarting.
I live in India and here the phone's temperature reaches to 39-40 deg C. Apparently, that is enough for this to switch off. After tirelessly waiting for a decent update from Asus, I have almost given up.
Now I want to downgrade to Android 9 because that is the only time this phone felt stable. What do you all think about this choice? Is it a bad idea to do so since we're almost at Android 11?
And is there any official updated guide to do so?
@ARP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Titan_ASUS @Kris_ASUS
12 REPLIES 12

nakul696
Star III
ARP_ASUS

Hi,

Please check below thread:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/50257/should-you-downgrade-to-android-9

Do not create multiple thread.

View post
Hi,
I had no idea that there were 2 threads created. Will not happen again.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
nakul696

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 2
  2. Firmware Version: WW_Phone-17.0240.2105.90
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: NA
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Let's be real, this phone was only nice until the first Android 10 update came in. Since then there have constant ups and downs with the updates and now, in just 1 year it's giving some serious problems like overheating and random restarting.

I live in India and here the phone's temperature reaches to 39-40 deg C. Apparently, that is enough for this to switch off. After tirelessly waiting for a decent update from Asus, I have almost given up.

Now I want to downgrade to Android 9 because that is the only time this phone felt stable. What do you all think about this choice? Is it a bad idea to do so since we're almost at Android 11?

And is there any official updated guide to do so?

@ARP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Titan_ASUS @Kris_ASUS

Should you downgrade to Android 9?
Buggyness is to be expected when moving to a major OS update. Now android 10 is absolutely stable.
As for the restart issues etc. It's not related to A10, it's due to a dying power IC chip in your phone.

nakul696
Star III
ROG2 updated from A9 to 10 in 2020. It's been a year and the buggyness hasn't reduced, infact it has only increased!
I was under the impression that the new updates have messed with the hardware interaction and hence am considering to downgrade. But if what you say about the IC chip dying is true, then that is extremely disappointing and disheartening because it's just been 14 months since I bought this phone!
The warranty was for 12M so it seems this was so convenient for ASUS that now they don't have to deal with the free repairs!

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
nakul696

ROG2 updated from A9 to 10 in 2020. It's been a year and the buggyness hasn't reduced, infact it has only increased!

I was under the impression that the new updates have messed with the hardware interaction and hence am considering to downgrade. But if what you say about the IC chip dying is true, then that is extremely disappointing and disheartening because it's just been 14 months since I bought this phone!

The warranty was for 12M so it seems this was so convenient for ASUS that now they don't have to deal with the free repairs!

View post
There have been many reports of people who didnt have warranty who still get free repair since it's a manufacturer defect, I assume it's some sort of extended warranty program.
As for bugs I don't see any bugs on Rog2 A10 that arent user caused.

Freddetj
Star III
Danishblunt, do you mean that the current and confirmed mic bugs are user caused?