Sibi
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: 18.0840.2104.49
Rooted or not: non rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): whatsapp
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi, I bought rog 5 couple days ago....and noticed when using whatsapp/fb/insta front camera the camera smoothens out the face so hardly it looks like oil painting please fix this issue .when using back cam in the same app this is not happening only on front cam it beautifies so hardly
25 REPLIES 25

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Stop quoting the ASUS mods, they literally cannot do anything to fix this nor can the developers. The reason this is happening is due to awful camera software on messaging apps. Instead use your camera and send pictures through gallery, do not use fb, whatsapp or messenger to take pictures unless you don't care about quality.
The camera software on the phone processes the images so they look better, 3rd party apps don't.

Sibi
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

Stop quoting the ASUS mods, they literally cannot do anything to fix this nor can the developers. The reason this is happening is due to awful camera software on messaging apps. Instead use your camera and send pictures through gallery, do not use fb, whatsapp or messenger to take pictures unless you don't care about quality.

The camera software on the phone processes the images so they look better, 3rd party apps don't.

View post
I haven't had this 3rd party issue I mentioned above in any other phones except asus/rog....asus has to optimise their software calibration of camera on these apps

Sibi
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

View post
Yes we will quote the mods and ask the developers....I haven't faced this much of a quality drop in camera on 3rd party apps on my previous phones! Even 5z,6z don't have this issue...only in rog the front cam is poor...asus has to optimise the software for these apps that uses camera permission

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Sibi

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175910#Comment_175910

Yes we will quote the mods and ask the developers....I haven't faced this much of a quality drop in camera on 3rd party apps on my previous phones! Even 5z,6z don't have this issue...only in rog the front cam is poor...asus has to optimise the software for these apps that uses camera permission

View post
That's a testiment to how much they improved their camera processing algorythm. The ASUS camera application is one of the best camera applications that exist, only to be topped by the likes of sonys ridicolously good camera pro application. If you want better quality on 3rd party apps, then go and complain to the 3rd party app creators. ASUS cannot magicially fix 3rd party cameras, it's like me having a car that needs tuning and I now go to the manufacturer of the car radio and ask them to fix my engine, it's ridicolous.
The front camera is a trash 24mp 0.9micrometer camera, the fact that the ASUS camera app makes it seem way higher quality speaks for itself. And before you complain about why they have a bad front camera, this is true to basicially all phones, the reason isnt budget, the reason is simply space issues, nobody wants an IMX 689 on their front screen, it would take way to much space.

Sibi
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/176125#Comment_176125

That's a testiment to how much they improved their camera processing algorythm. The ASUS camera application is one of the best camera applications that exist, only to be topped by the likes of sonys ridicolously good camera pro application. If you want better quality on 3rd party apps, then go and complain to the 3rd party app creators. ASUS cannot magicially fix 3rd party cameras, it's like me having a car that needs tuning and I now go to the manufacturer of the car radio and ask them to fix my engine, it's ridicolous.

The front camera is a trash 24mp 0.9micrometer camera, the fact that the ASUS camera app makes it seem way higher quality speaks for itself. And before you complain about why they have a bad front camera, this is true to basicially all phones, the reason isnt budget, the reason is simply space issues, nobody wants an IMX 689 on their front screen, it would take way to much space.

View post
This is not 3rd party app issue..if that's the case all phones will have that face softening issue....this is only happening in rog 5....this has to do with the asus camera software no proper access for the 3rd party app camera. This software issue is on asus side not 3rd party... literally every other android phones has equal cam quality in stock and 3rd party app