This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Carrier Support and Network Compatibility (5G, VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc.) should be #1 Priority

Android
Rising Star I
ASUS needs to make it so that the ROG Phone series is fully compatible with the carriers and networks in regions that they are selling it. The forums have mostly been flooded with demands of VoLTE and in some cases requests for 5G to be enabled in their region. It's the same requests and issues being reported time and time again.
The ROG Phone is first and foremost a phone and it isn't a wise idea to purchase a phone that plays games well but have calls that drop or have trouble receiving messages because it is missing some kind of approval from the carriers or because carriers don't like how the phone doesn't have the bands to support such features. I would've really liked to purchase the ROG Phone 5 but I'm very hesitant because I've read from people here that they have trouble connecting to 5G and VoLTE on T-Mobile.
PLEASE WORK WITH CARRIERS! If it's a money issue then allocate resources from other things into making sure that the ROG Phone meets basic standards expected of phones in 2021.

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
On a side note so I don't have to make another thread about it (especially since I don't think it should even be prioritized), I just want to say that I like how the ROG Phone 5 has theme packs. I think it would be cool to have a Gundam theme pack since ASUS has done a Gundam collaboration recently and released Gundam branded ROG PC components. NieR theme pack would be a cool one too but it's a little niche. But if licensed theme packs can't be done then a cool original mecha theme pack would also be awesome.
6 REPLIES 6

Android
Rising Star I
Another thing that I want to point out is that Razer was able to get official VoLTE support on the Razer Phone 2 (2018) for T-Mobile despite being a much smaller company than ASUS.
If Razer, whose smartphone division is now defunct, was able to add VoLTE support three years ago then ASUS should be able to add official VoLTE support from carriers now in 2021. It's a silly excuse to hear that ASUS isn't a well known brand so carriers don't want to cooperate even though ASUS is a much larger company than Razer.

Android
Rising Star I
Bump!
Carrier support is the most important feature a phone should have.

noldoli
Star III
Indeed ASUS phones must fully support the carriers of the country they sell the phones to. They don't do that now & they're getting away with it. Unethical!
E.g., in Australia, they don't support VoLTE/VoWiFi features right out of the box for any of three carriers -- Telstra, Optus & Vodafone. For comparison iPhones supported those features from 2014. It's a fair assumption that an ASUS phone released today, i.e., some seven years after that iPhone, would support those features, but unbelievably they don't. If they can't even implement the kind of yesteryear's 4G features that are so prevalent even amongst ~$300 (AUD) phones, what hope is there for any 5G features?
I'm seriously regretting buying Rog phone 5 & realising a while later that it doesn't support VoLTE/VoWiFi. Those are essential feature for any phone at my workplace where 3G signals are too weak to make & receive calls, and with Rog phone 5, I'm missing out on important calls. I was going to praise this phone to high heavens & recommend it to friends and colleagues. Instead, now that I've been badly bitten by it, I'll be influencing whomever I can against buying it. Once bitten twice shy: I won't be buying an ASUS product again nor would I recommend them in good conscience to anybody.
It'd seem by their attitude of lethargy and carelessness they're simply busy in driving away their existing customers & future potentials.
As a departing advice for ASUS, let me say this: Whichever the market you're selling your products to, do implement all the essential features a phone needs in that market this time and age. Don't let lethargy define your company. Or as a definite positive alternative, be honest & declare upfront in all of your marketing and sales materials what essential features your products lack (viz., VoLTE/VoWiFi) compared to your competitors, so that a customer can make an educated decision up front. At least you'd then have one less disgruntled customer that way. Thanks.

radio_mike
Star I
Having researched my next new phone for sometime, I was about to buy the ROG Phone 5. Some last minute research revealed that, in the UK, it appears VoLTE and VoWiFi does not work.
At first I refused to believe this assuming that I'd either have to contact my carrier (Vodafone) or activate the service in some menu setting. Unfortunately, it seems that I'm mistaken and Asus just can't be bothered to make sure their premium phones work fully for voice calls. I'm very disappointed tbh; but on the other hand I've saved myself a shed load of money while my research for my next phone continues.
Update: A few hours after posting the above it appears that the latest FW has activated VoLTE and VoWifi for the major UK networks so I'll be placing my order! I'm a happy bunny and hope that the other regions still without these features will get them real soon 😉