cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

michal_pado
Star III
daniel91m

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175293#Comment_175293

my glass worth ~$13 - price is a determinant? Because the finger reader still doesn't work...

View post
Have you tried not applying any additional glass on it? Should work just fine.

daniel91m
Rising Star II
And it works, but so what? I prefer screen security than fingerprint reader. If it works in a similar way on every phone, I already know it's not for me. It's best to have a sensor on the back of the phone. The sensor under the screen is the most overrated shit.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
daniel91m

And it works, but so what? I prefer screen security than fingerprint reader. If it works in a similar way on every phone, I already know it's not for me. It's best to have a sensor on the back of the phone. The sensor under the screen is the most overrated shit.

View post
In terms of accuracy, speed, detection - capacitive sensors have the best track record. This is not unique to ASUS.
Optical under display fingerprint readers (basically a camera that takes photos through the display) are popular ofc due to their "hidden" nature - but there are also drawbacks.
Ultrasonic fingerprint readers work similary also with their drawbacks.

Especially so when using screen protectors.
A quick google on screen protector issues with fingerprint scanners under display reveals tons of issues with other brands also.
We've issued several updates with regards to the FP scanner's robustness and detection rate - most cases (without screen protectors) have improved considerably - but it does not mean 0% of users will have issues.. it never is like this.

With screen protectors,
the issue can for sure still be present. And it will vary a lot depending on th type, thickness, application (dust, gaps, dirt, whatever under) and also fingerprint itself.
In some cases it will work fine. It others unlock will be slower but still work. In some it will be slower and work, but fail more often and yet in some, it works very poorly overall instead.

We are still at work looking to improve and optimize the FP reader but above mentioned side effects, esp. with protectors, will always be present - we cannot work around them to 100%.

severni_pol
Star I
I'm going crazy from slow finger print sensor, it takes up to 3 seconds to unlock my phone. I bought the phone last week and I have all recent updates. Some way how to make it faster? My Zenfone 6 was super fast compared to this expensive Zenfone 8 flip. #DISAPPOINTED

barr07099
Star I
I had this problem too, dampen you finger and it should work, mine mine does and I have a glass screen protector fitted. It will probably be fixed with future updates.