This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Updates

martinparker28
Rising Star II
In a now closed thread @Anders_ASUS said, and I quote  "We normally update every other month. If any major security risk has been discovered, then we will do our best to push the next security update as fast as possible"..... my Asus Zenfone 8 is still on 5th April security update and even with my basic maths that's 3 months tomorrow!!!!
22 REPLIES 22

jfgt7j8qgx
Rising Star II
me.0mby8

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175148#Comment_175148

I don't think It's lousy as such. We do not know the work load of the devs there and the projects they might be working on. Maybe not well managed or maybe not enough resource allocation.

But saying so releasing security updates might be possible to be done faster given that custom rom devs ( been using custom roms for years now ) are able to push monthly asb updates at a pretty fast pace which I'd guess merging / making changes to make things fit and building and testing. I don't think I've had any issue with most updates (albeit a few which generally gets fixed with a really quick subsequent update like in maybe hours or days) and I have seen a single maintainer/dev test and push updates for multiple devices. That said they don't have to work on developing new devices I guess but aren't most of them just doing this in their spare time.

So maybe something can be done about pushing asb updates faster.

Even the android 12 beta according to the website (www asus com/content/android-12-beta/) is still in beta 1 while the one out for pixel is 2.1 and most like beta 3 in a few days so yea. Maybe the smartphone division of asus is just small maybe idk.

As for testing maybe get a build ready and have some kind of beta update path for people to test it where it can stay for a week maybe before being pushed to release. There might be people out there willing to run beta software on their daily drivers who mostly keep backup in case things go wrong and wont mind resetting the phone once in a while.

As a side note (might be unrelated to this thread) maybe having a recovery have more functionality like twrp like mtp and being able to enter password to decrypt the encrypted partition and so on. Yea something to make it fun to play around with I guess.

View post
How do you explain Samsung, Sony, OnePlus etc.
I think Asus is a big global company. They definitely have money to hire enough good engineer. Yet they're doing such terrible jobs.
screenshot-20210707-135535698.jpg

me_0mby8
Star III
Asus the company as a whole is big but the mobile division might not be so. And I'm not sure if the management goes through the community forums to look at the problems being faced and the customer feedback I might be wrong.

But tbh it does seem bad for a very recently released flagship to be on a more than 2 month old while there are custom roms with june security patch (at the time of writing) for a 4 year old phone available and kept updated every month. If a group of people doing it in their free time are capable of providing really stable updates almost every month with very rare mishaps I do think a company like asus should be able to provide the updates should they focus on doing so.

jfgt7j8qgx
Rising Star II
Why is my comment disappeared? ☹️
Anyway, Asus need to release security update quicker.

me_0mby8
Star III
jfgt7j8qgx

Why is my comment disappeared? ☹️

Anyway, Asus need to release security update quicker.

View post
Not sure ... I did see your previous comment before the one I made previously but it's gone now. Strange .... Do mods remove comments ?

b_preslavski
Star III
Project treble was all about security updates to be non dependant on oem's bulls#it updates and lazy development. Asus may not have heard of it... Also not heard of overheating and battery drain, making the phone usable for leveling a table in a restaurant... Or not - too thick for that.