This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Wizard - 3.5mm frequency response

waddahghalib
Star II
Hello, I recently purchased a zenfone 8 and I am loving it, especially the fact that it has a headphone jack (I dont buy phones without them). But the biggest disappointment is the lack of a clean audio output due to the built in Audio Wizard. I hope a software update will allow us to disable any audio post processing coming out of the headphone jack. Also the output of the headphone jack is a bit too low in comparison to my old oneplus 6. lastly and I dont know why this happens, spotify outputs at a lower volume than playing something from my local files. I dont think this is necessarily an issue with the phone or phones software itself but it might be because on my oneplus 6 this issue isnt there.
I hear that this forum is pretty responsive with the developers talking on here frequently so please address these issues. Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

waddahghalib
Star II
UPDATE 2: I used ADB to uninstall Audio Wizard and while I think I have clean output I'm not entirely sure. It certainly isn't any louder. ASUS Please enable high performance dac feature that is already present in the snapdragon 888 processor.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
We are using the Snapdragon Aqstic DAC. There is no other DAC.

DIrac tuning , if no headphones are chosen in Audio Wizard, is not doing anything to the 3.5mm output.
The frequency response by default is flat for music:
zf8-audiojack-performance.png

For the other issue of Spotify outputting a lower volume for "local files" I dont think is related to audiowizard , but are you able to create a separate thread for that so we distinguish between topics?
Thanks!
(Edited the topic for this thread).

waddahghalib
Star II
Thanks for the response. I already resolved the Spotify issue so there's no need for a different thread. It was the normalize volume levels option that was the culprit for that issue. I know there is no separate DAC you are using other than the default snapdragon one. But the default snapdragon one should output more volume than what it currently outputs. OnePlus 6 doesn't have a dedicated DAC but the sound coming from the jack is much louder at the same volume percentage. I can even drive my Sennheiser HD 6XX and AKG K702 without a problem on my OnePlus 6 but I can't do that with my Asus Zenfone 8. Could you please check if there's a software limitation for this or if this is a hardware issue? (which I doubt because OnePlus 6 doesn't have a dedicated DAC either) and if it is a software issue could you please fix it in the next software update.
I'm glad to know that the music profile from Audio Wizard doesn't color the sound. But I have another question: since I uninstalled Audio Wizard is the output clean or is it colored by the default Dynamic profile that is turned on in Audio Wizard out of the box when you first use the phone?
Also I have a suggestion for a future update and that is to set the default audio profile on Audio Wizard to be Music rather than Dynamic since the Music profile doesn't color the sound and if they want it they can always change it. Better to leave the default at no further processing than the other way around.
Thanks in advance.

erik_paladin
Rising Star I
CH_ASUS

We are using the Snapdragon Aqstic DAC. There is no other DAC.

DIrac tuning , if no headphones are chosen in Audio Wizard, is not doing anything to the 3.5mm output.

The frequency response by default is flat for music:

zf8-audiojack-performance.png

For the other issue of Spotify outputting a lower volume for "local files" I dont think is related to audiowizard , but are you able to create a separate thread for that so we distinguish between topics?

Thanks!

(Edited the topic for this thread).

View post
OK, so just to confirm: when no specific headphone model is selected and "Scenario effect" is set to Music, it does not alter the sound otuput?
If this is the case, I agree with the previous poster, Music should be set as default, or there should at least be some kind of information about the different scenarios, because (as far as I know) there is no information about the AudioWizard to be found either in the manual that comes with the phone or on the offiial support page.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
waddahghalib

Thanks for the response. I already resolved the Spotify issue so there's no need for a different thread. It was the normalize volume levels option that was the culprit for that issue. I know there is no separate DAC you are using other than the default snapdragon one. But the default snapdragon one should output more volume than what it currently outputs. OnePlus 6 doesn't have a dedicated DAC but the sound coming from the jack is much louder at the same volume percentage. I can even drive my Sennheiser HD 6XX and AKG K702 without a problem on my OnePlus 6 but I can't do that with my Asus Zenfone 8. Could you please check if there's a software limitation for this or if this is a hardware issue? (which I doubt because OnePlus 6 doesn't have a dedicated DAC either) and if it is a software issue could you please fix it in the next software update.

I'm glad to know that the music profile from Audio Wizard doesn't color the sound. But I have another question: since I uninstalled Audio Wizard is the output clean or is it colored by the default Dynamic profile that is turned on in Audio Wizard out of the box when you first use the phone?

Also I have a suggestion for a future update and that is to set the default audio profile on Audio Wizard to be Music rather than Dynamic since the Music profile doesn't color the sound and if they want it they can always change it. Better to leave the default at no further processing than the other way around.

Thanks in advance.

View post
Dynamic is an auto switching profile, where it will go to music or game for example (when detecting games).
Dynamic + Spotify = Music.

As for the level output, generally we adhere to the regulations where available on maximum output voltages - I cannot comment for what Oneplus 6 does or does not do - but we'll check with our devs