cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera improvements

meso_erik
Star II
Hello
coming from Pixel 3 (from 2018) I had high expectation for the camera. In general, shooting still objects in well lit scenarios is OK however I noticed a few things that could be tweaked, software wise:
HDR - it works well however in many cases it creates various artifacts and the detail is lost
Dimmer condition - even with the regular indoor lighting it is impossible to capture a shot that is not blurry when it comes to a moving object. My Pixel 3 preserves better details (has a much smaller sensor and lower count of megapixels) however at the expense of a little bit more noise, which I don't mind.
Zero Shutter Lag - is it possible to introduce it in the camera SW? It will probably drain battery faster but it's very useful when capturing a moment
Selfies - in general, in well lit conditions they look good (again my Pixel 3 with 8MP with an archaic HW delivers more detailed pictures) however even with the slightest sign of a darker environment (usual indoors conditions) the quality degrades rapidly. In general I personally prefer detail with a little bit of noise rather than just a blurry face.
Selfies - is it possible to add a night mode?
It might be that some of this is because of the optics and then you can't do anything about it but somehow I feel that the HW is capable of much more and the computations photography is lagging behind on the SW side.
What are the future camera improvements you plan to introduce pls as I like the phone but I'm a little disappointed in the cameras.
Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

dradum
Star II
Aryan202

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174259#Comment_174259

This "issue" has been reported on pretty much most 888 phones out there

If I recall correctly oneplus 9 used to do the same and oneplus had to manually increase the thermal limit so the phone could record for longer duration at higher temps but under higher temps the phone still force closes the camera application though

I can't certify this though it's just my conclusion based after reading stuff on tech portals and community groups

But from what I understand oems have a thermal limit after which camera force closes and this has been reported mostly after snapdragon 865 and above probably a failsafe to prevent the devices from getting too hot

Phone while recording (4k 60) does get pretty hot outside even on my 845 by the way

And flagship socs with all it's powerful cpu, gpus and camera isps come at the cost of increased power consumption and higher thermals (referring to the comment above mine)

View post
It is indeed an issue on most 888 phones, but not to such a serious extent. On the Zenfone 8 the 4k 60 feature is quite limited in normal conditions, say at room temperature, where I haven't been able to record more than 7 minutes. That, I don't mind that much. However, the 4k 60 is pretty much unusable outside in hot weather, where the camera shuts down after 3 minutes max. I guess it has something to do with the balance between power and thermals in such a small phone, which I can understand to a certain extent. But I hope a technical solution can be found to at least improve on the recording time before the camera shuts down. The quality of the 4k 60 footage itself is rather excellent, which seems like a waste and a shame if I cannot really record at that frame rate for a meaningful length of time.

abhineet150
Rising Star I
dradum

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174310#Comment_174310

It is indeed an issue on most 888 phones, but not to such a serious extent. On the Zenfone 8 the 4k 60 feature is quite limited in normal conditions, say at room temperature, where I haven't been able to record more than 7 minutes. That, I don't mind that much. However, the 4k 60 is pretty much unusable outside in hot weather, where the camera shuts down after 3 minutes max. I guess it has something to do with the balance between power and thermals in such a small phone, which I can understand to a certain extent. But I hope a technical solution can be found to at least improve on the recording time before the camera shuts down. The quality of the 4k 60 footage itself is rather excellent, which seems like a waste and a shame if I cannot really record at that frame rate for a meaningful length of time.

View post
That's really disappointing and Asus please kindly tune and fix this.

This shouldn't be the case after spending a good amount of money.

We love Asus