journeywithme06
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: rog 5 16 256
Firmware Version:. 49
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: all the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
We really are not getting a stable.2.84 Ghz of clockespeed. As soon as you turn on the xmode plus. It goes down to 1.56. Ive seen a video in youtube "rog 5 preformance issue" and its more than a month already, is this a hardware issue? Or a software? If this is a software, when are going to have a fix on this one. This is serious. No other SD 888 phone, is having this issue.
https://youtu.be/2-xqz2ZiwJU

18 REPLIES 18

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ghyzriellgalez06

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174013#Comment_174013

I see. So there is no fix for this problem like s software update? Since, just like you said @Danishblunt this is a design of the phone which we can' t do nothing about unless they get all the rog 5 amd redesign it, which is impossible. Please let me know.

View post
I cannot tell for sure if this isnt fixable with software or not. While the phone cannot handle the SD888 at default on full speed, there is a possibility to optimize the SoC so that the phone might be able to handle full speed optimized with its current design, that being said I do not own a phone with a SD 888 chipset so I do not know how freely you can modify it and even if, there are barely developers out there that do these sorts of things anyways. On the Rog3 I am the only kernel developer who has changed the SoC's behaviour and optimized it, so unless a developer who has interest in fixing the Rog5 and assuming the SoC allows modifcation I wouldnt assume it's going to be fixed. You really don't see many devs these days that take the time to optimize phones, most devs just do small modifcations and call it a day.

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174482#Comment_174482

I cannot tell for sure if this isnt fixable with software or not. While the phone cannot handle the SD888 at default on full speed, there is a possibility to optimize the SoC so that the phone might be able to handle full speed optimized with its current design, that being said I do not own a phone with a SD 888 chipset so I do not know how freely you can modify it and even if, there are barely developers out there that do these sorts of things anyways. On the Rog3 I am the only kernel developer who has changed the SoC's behaviour and optimized it, so unless a developer who has interest in fixing the Rog5 and assuming the SoC allows modifcation I wouldnt assume it's going to be fixed. You really don't see many devs these days that take the time to optimize phones, most devs just do small modifcations and call it a day.

View post
I see.so ROG 3 is really better than ROG 5 in terms of gaming performace. The only advantage for rog 5 is the sd888 and nothing more,😔😔😔.

Should I settle for rog 3 sa my main gaming phone? But it only have 8gb of ram, compared to rog 5 with 16GB of ram. And it is the 3rd repair to the service center I made for rog 3, since it suddenly shuts off.. Any advice? @Danishblunt

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ghyzriellgalez06

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174783#Comment_174783

I see.so ROG 3 is really better than ROG 5 in terms of gaming performace. The only advantage for rog 5 is the sd888 and nothing more,😔😔😔.

Should I settle for rog 3 sa my main gaming phone? But it only have 8gb of ram, compared to rog 5 with 16GB of ram. And it is the 3rd repair to the service center I made for rog 3, since it suddenly shuts off.. Any advice? @Danishblunt

View post
8GB ram is more than enough for gaming. Playing games like Genshin impact would only require you around 4GBish ram.
Rog3 does have the issue with the panel as of now. Only fix is my kernel but people have been talking about a fix for A11 stable version where the panel gets properly fixed (fingers crossed). I would strongly suggest waiting for that before making any decisions, if the display gets a fix with A11 stable I can safely recommend the Rog3. If you want an up 2 date gaming phone and care about performance, red magic 6 or black shark 4 are better options, they perform better and especially the latter has some seriously nice features such as magnetic shoulder buttons and best phone speakers.
Rog3's aren't normally filled with issues other than software so hearing about 3rd repair for a rog3 seems unusual. I'll assume you have a tencent version, so I'd say the best course of action is to buy an EDL cable and do a complete clean install with a raw firmare file to ensure the phone is not restarting due to software. If it still does then I would say service center should do a proper repair on the logicboard, however due to ASUS not having their own service centers and instead hiring 3rd party centers, the quality of the repair will vary. If you do not have any kind of warranty I'd probably go with a reputable 3rd party repair shop.

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174788#Comment_174788

8GB ram is more than enough for gaming. Playing games like Genshin impact would only require you around 4GBish ram.

Rog3 does have the issue with the panel as of now. Only fix is my kernel but people have been talking about a fix for A11 stable version where the panel gets properly fixed (fingers crossed). I would strongly suggest waiting for that before making any decisions, if the display gets a fix with A11 stable I can safely recommend the Rog3. If you want an up 2 date gaming phone and care about performance, red magic 6 or black shark 4 are better options, they perform better and especially the latter has some seriously nice features such as magnetic shoulder buttons and best phone speakers.

Rog3's aren't normally filled with issues other than software so hearing about 3rd repair for a rog3 seems unusual. I'll assume you have a tencent version, so I'd say the best course of action is to buy an EDL cable and do a complete clean install with a raw firmare file to ensure the phone is not restarting due to software. If it still does then I would say service center should do a proper repair on the logicboard, however due to ASUS not having their own service centers and instead hiring 3rd party centers, the quality of the repair will vary. If you do not have any kind of warranty I'd probably go with a reputable 3rd party repair shop.

View post
Thanks @Danishblunt. I think this rog 3 is global, it did say Strix version in box. And night it on an Asus store.
Yes, you are correct regarding the service centers.

In regarding for EDL cable and installing a raw firmware, I thing I will stop there. I don't know how those things work.
Ill just have to wait for the rog 3 and rog 5 updates, and check which is better in terms of performance. Thanks for recommending those phine. I am also thinking on going with redmagic 6 if the performance of rog 5 wont improve after this July update hopefully.

After month of July if no update, and if there is, if no improvements on the gaming performance. I guess its time to give up hoping for this rog 5 phone. Its time sell this and move on to other phones

Thanks @Danishblunt