nakul696
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 2
Firmware Version: WW_Phone-17.0240.2105.90
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: NA
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Let's be real, this phone was only nice until the first Android 10 update came in. Since then there have constant ups and downs with the updates and now, in just 1 year it's giving some serious problems like overheating and random restarting.
I live in India and here the phone's temperature reaches to 39-40 deg C. Apparently, that is enough for this to switch off. After tirelessly waiting for a decent update from Asus, I have almost given up.
Now I want to downgrade to Android 9 because that is the only time this phone felt stable. What do you all think about this choice? Is it a bad idea to do so since we're almost at Android 11?
And is there any official updated guide to do so?
@ARP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Titan_ASUS @Kris_ASUS
12 REPLIES 12

ronald1985
Community Legend I
nakul696

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 2
  2. Firmware Version: WW_Phone-17.0240.2105.90
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: NA
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

Let's be real, this phone was only nice until the first Android 10 update came in. Since then there have constant ups and downs with the updates and now, in just 1 year it's giving some serious problems like overheating and random restarting.

I live in India and here the phone's temperature reaches to 39-40 deg C. Apparently, that is enough for this to switch off. After tirelessly waiting for a decent update from Asus, I have almost given up.

Now I want to downgrade to Android 9 because that is the only time this phone felt stable. What do you all think about this choice? Is it a bad idea to do so since we're almost at Android 11?

Should you downgrade to Android 9?
Find the download and instructions here ensuring you use the correct CN or WW.
It is either called:
Version Android 10 downgrade to P (WW)
or
Version Android 10 降版至 Android 9 (CN)
ROG Phone II | Gaming Phones|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG GlobalThere have been reports you get the same issue on A9 too but at the end of day, it is what you think.

nakul696
Star III
My main reason for the downgrade is the random restarts due to overheating.
Im in India and the temperature right now is 35deg C. I was just now recording a video and my phone turned off. And it keeps turning off when I restart it. This happens until it cools down to a system temperature below 39. When I checked in the console, the temp was 41 and I had to wait for it to go low before I can operate the phone.
Now this is , obviously, frustrating and definitely not acceptable. What would you suggest me to do in this case?

ronald1985
Community Legend I
nakul696

My main reason for the downgrade is the random restarts due to overheating.

Im in India and the temperature right now is 35deg C. I was just now recording a video and my phone turned off. And it keeps turning off when I restart it. This happens until it cools down to a system temperature below 39. When I checked in the console, the temp was 41 and I had to wait for it to go low before I can operate the phone.

Now this is , obviously, frustrating and definitely not acceptable. What would you suggest me to do in this case?

View post
You can try downgrading to Android 9 as you suggested yourself and then see if the issue occurs?

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi,
Please check below thread:
nakul696

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 2
  2. Firmware Version: WW_Phone-17.0240.2105.90
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: NA
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA

Should you downgrade to Android 9?
Do not create multiple thread.