This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark mode on messenger

theotime_fasque
Star II
The system dark mode on my Zenfone 8 is conflicting with messenger theme badly. Conversations are unreadable when the dark mode is activated in the system regardless of the theme selected in the app.
Phone and app both in light mode :
screenshot-20210625-182208394.jpg

Messenger in light mode and phone in dark mode :
screenshot-20210625-182221880.jpg

Messenger and phone both in dark mode :
screenshot-20210625-182124412.jpg

Messenger in dark mode and phone in light mode :
screenshot-20210625-182149323.jpg

The latter should be displayed also when app and phone are both in dark mode. I should not need to switch my phone to light mode every time I open messenger and switch again when closing app. This was working fine on my Zenfone 5z.
10 REPLIES 10

theotime_fasque
Star II
I just noticed that the system dark theme modifies the theme of every app, even if the app already is in dark mode, it's just that in general it's ok and with messenger it's not.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
theotime.fasquelle

I just noticed that the system dark theme modifies the theme of every app, even if the app already is in dark mode, it's just that in general it's ok and with messenger it's not.

View post
Go to display settings -> system color scheme and disable messenger in the force dark mode settings. Does that help?

theotime_fasque
Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/173584#Comment_173584

Go to display settings -> system color scheme and disable messenger in the force dark mode settings. Does that help?

View post
This force dark mode setting is broken :
Messenger is not in the list. There may be some other apps that are not in.
I have some app that wont apply dark theme regardless of the setting (excel, mi fit, notify for mi band)
To check or not the force dark theme setting have no effect on the app. If an app doesn't support dark mode it will always be in bright mode. If an app does support dark mode, it's built-in dark theme is modified by the system and this can lead to difficult to read text like in the messenger exemple I posted.
There are also some apps that doesn't have a built-in dark theme and that are always forced to dark

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
FB Messenger -> Settings -> Dark mode -> "As system".
Then in Settings -> Display -> System color scheme.

Even with FB Messenger's own settings set to either light or dark, and the reverse on ZenUI system, the color in Messenger follows Messenger setting. If it is set "as system" it follows system.

And both ways, the colors turn out as expected:
screenshot-20210701-180739410-li.jpg

screenshot-20210701-180729966-li.jpg