This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out blacks across refresh rates

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
Hello, I have noticdd an issue with my ZENFONE 8. When viewing pitch black content in a dark room, the screen appeara to have something similar to LCD backlight bleed, however this is an amoled panel. The issue only appears at 60 and 120Hz, 90 being flawless for black screens. An important thing to note is that 120Hz is by far the worst of the 2.
img-2914.jpg
Here is an image of what it looks like in the dark. There is a thin dotted line at the center and the gradient moves depending on the brightness. This was at about 1/4 - 1/3 brightness as others were less pronounced.

i would like to know if this is a known issue and if it can be fixed by software. If not, then it really sucks that i cant use one of the phones main selling points because the grey thing is visible in apps with a black background too...

6 REPLIES 6

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Adaoh

Hello, I have noticdd an issue with my ZENFONE 8. When viewing pitch black content in a dark room, the screen appeara to have something similar to LCD backlight bleed, however this is an amoled panel. The issue only appears at 60 and 120Hz, 90 being flawless for black screens. An important thing to note is that 120Hz is by far the worst of the 2.

img-2914.jpg

Here is an image of what it looks like in the dark. There is a thin dotted line at the center and the gradient moves depending on the brightness. This was at about 1/4 - 1/3 brightness as others were less pronounced.

i would like to know if this is a known issue and if it can be fixed by software. If not, then it really sucks that i cant use one of the phones main selling points because the grey thing is visible in apps with a black background too...

True black screens across refresh rates
This is the behavior of amoled panels but if you believe that there's something wrong with your panel, then you're welcome to get in touch with your local ASUS customer service rep.

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/50173/true-black-screens-across-refresh-rates

This is the behavior of amoled panels but if you believe that there's something wrong with your panel, then you're welcome to get in touch with your local ASUS customer service rep.

View post
I understand that color uniformity is never perfect, but I tought AMOLED displays were supposed to turn the pixels off when black? This is a weird issue since it is non existent on 90Hz and a little bit present on 60Hz. Maybe it has to do with the amount of power being delivered through the display that prevents the pixels from turning off at 120Hz, but then again why would 90Hz be perfect and 60hz which should consume the lowest power still have the grey pixels? Weird issue, also, there is a post on XDA Forums (cant link it, too new in the forum) where a lot of people report the same issue.

jupiler987
Star II
I remember reading somewhere that there's different types of AMOLED panel when it comes to how they handle the refresh rates, cheaper panels (and some samsung ones) only handle one refresh rate perfectly (or a multiple of that same refresh rate, for example 60 and 120 will look good but 90 won't, or the other way around). And only a subset of higher quality panels (LG and some samsung) are able to keep the same level of black (and no change in tint color) over different refresh rate. They have a specific name or classification but I can't recall what it was.
I would guess this the Zenfone sits in the former category, but you might also have received a worse than average panel?

cicagorio
Rising Star II
I can confirm that it is the same for me. 120Hz and 60Hz are not truly black in the dark, and 90Hz looks perfect