This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display auto brightess doesn't work

lukasz_szabelsk
Rising Star II
Today I've noticed that something's wrong with auto brightness. After yesterdays update my screen brightness was set on 95% and battery got low very fast. Same after charging from 100% to 85% in 4 hours without using anything, no apps, no calls, no gps etc.
Just when I've bought my phone I've set brightness to auto.
Now when I'm going to Display settings and I'll choose some brightness level for example "20%" and go outside when sun is bright, display won't make itself any brighter. Same when setting to "80%" ang going to dark room. It's still 80%.
Please fix this, it's very annoying right now.
9 REPLIES 9

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
lukasz.szabelski

I can't send you a PM (don't know why) so I'm pasting link without dots and with some extra whitespaces.

(thanks , downloaded)

View post
From the vide, I can see at 4 seconds in, the display on ZF8 changes from 18% to 24% .
Then down again to 17 and up to 23% and so on - indicating the adaptive brightness in itself is "working". So it does seem to react.

Howver the adaptive brightness levels itself maybe have been messed up in terms of its "remembering" (just speculation). As this Android function also attempts to "learn" from which brightness conditions you "want" which brightness.

You can try to shine a light on it, keep it there, and manually pull the slider to , say, 80%.
Then try it again to see if it kept that in memory.

Alternatively you can go to settings and search in the searchbar for "Device Health services" - go in that app.
Find "storage" and press "clear storage" icon.
You will see a screen where you can "Reset adaptive brightness". Do so and it resets its learning back to default.

lukasz_szabelsk
Rising Star II
I've reset adaptive brightness and it's better for now but comparing to LG it's still not as smooth as it could be. Let's see how it will behave for longer time and various conditions. For now I've tested it by walking from completely dark bathroom to balcony and back 😛

martinparker28
Rising Star II
lukasz.szabelski

I've reset adaptive brightness and it's better for now but comparing to LG it's still not as smooth as it could be. Let's see how it will behave for longer time and various conditions. For now I've tested it by walking from completely dark bathroom to balcony and back 😛

View post
I also noticed this happening after the latest update, in fact I thought the phone had turned off completely as I could not see anything on the screen, it was only when I got back to my car and plugged a USB cable in that I knew the phone in fact was on but ever so dim, I did a full restore last night and I am monitoring it now

lukasz_szabelsk
Rising Star II
I didn't experirnced such issues on any phone before so it's strange why adaptive brightness settings messed up just after month of using Zenfone. I'll monitor this and let know if having issues again.

lukasz_szabelsk
Rising Star II
Issue is back again today. Display won't get brighter than 30% with auto on. I need to perform reset again 😕
Using Zenfone is getting quite tricky. Some basic functions get just annoying. Like display brightness, VoLTE, notifications etc 😞