cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

skynetDE
Star II
Just a heads-up: I just installed 30.11.51.60 and the fingerprint reader's reliability has greatly improved.
I had zero issues since the upgrade.

czinege_tamas
Star III
I can also confirm, that since 30.11.51.60 update I can also use the fingerprint reader!!! Thanks for the fix

bjornbrandy
Star II
After 30.11.51.60 I would say it is worse. Before at least on second try I got t he phone unlocked. Now good if I ever get it unlocked, before do many attempts error. Pocket mode helped a lot with ghost touches in pocket. Still proximity sensor does not work correctly, many times I mute my calls with my ear turing a call.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
bjornbrandy

After 30.11.51.60 I would say it is worse. Before at least on second try I got t he phone unlocked. Now good if I ever get it unlocked, before do many attempts error. Pocket mode helped a lot with ghost touches in pocket. Still proximity sensor does not work correctly, many times I mute my calls with my ear turing a call.

View post
Try turning off pocket mode and see if it actually maybe improves things.
as for FP reader, each subsequent update has improved a different type of scenario on the fingerprint reader - it's really difficult to tell at this stage why you experience worse result, rather than better - each finger is different in a way.

Does it help to remove fingerprints and rescan them? Are you perhaps also using a glass screen protector?

bjornbrandy
Star II
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/170996#Comment_170996

Try turning off pocket mode and see if it actually maybe improves things.

as for FP reader, each subsequent update has improved a different type of scenario on the fingerprint reader - it's really difficult to tell at this stage why you experience worse result, rather than better - each finger is different in a way.

Does it help to remove fingerprints and rescan them? Are you perhaps also using a glass screen protector?

View post
The pocket mode on is the only reason I have NOT returned it. Before that I considered it, because the phone was painful to use. Took out of pocket there was usually some sort of number typed in or some sort of Emergency form etc and of cores I had to type in some PIN because the fingerprint sensor had to many failed attempts. So the fingerprint sensor was useless end when something does not work that is an essential part of the unit then ....
But back to the sensor.
No class screen protector.
So today it's better. I haven't done a rescan of my fingers so this variable is not changed. But what has changed is the sunlight. On the 10.06 I was outside no cloud in sight so very bright sunlight. Today and afterwards it has been more shaded or inside.
To conclude, I would say the experience with the fingerprint sensor is the same. What condriputes also is the speed it reads the finger, which is a bit slow for my taste.
Just made a test. Reading inside house was 10/10 (for future self, right hand thumb)