Star I
System: ROG STRIX (Gaming Laptop)
Battery or AC: AC
Model: GL502VS
Frequency of occurrence: 1-2 events per month
Reset OS: Windows 10 2004
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:In September 2020, I replaced the original DRAM -- Samsung 16 GB PC4 2133P -- with Crucial 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) DDR4 2666. At the same time, I replaced the M.2 SSD to increase capacity from 256 GB to 1024 GB. Since then, I have experienced 10 BSOD crashes including 2 per month for the past 3 months. The crashes typically occur many hours (6-36 hours) after booting and under moderately heavy use (50 browser windows, VS Code session developing a Flutter application and running the Android simulator).
I would like to run the memory at the original 2133 rate to see if this eliminates the crashes. However, the simple BIOS seems to lack the ability to control the memory frequency. Does the GL502VS support migration of the BIOS to UEFI? If not, how can I set the memory frequency?
10 REPLIES 10

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
I don't think you need to adjust. Please check in task manager to see if the RAM is already running 2133Hz.
And we do not suggest to change anything if you didn't see the options in BIOS.
Thank you.

dv30fps
Star I
Thanks, but making no change does not eliminate the crashes. My system was stable until after I replaced the DRAM 9 months ago.
I am going to put the original Samsung DIMM into the bottom slot and reseat the Crucial DIMM in the top slot. Does anyone have any better solutions?

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
dv30fps
  1. System: ROG STRIX (Gaming Laptop)
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: GL502VS
  4. Frequency of occurrence: 1-2 events per month
  5. Reset OS: Windows 10 2004
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:In September 2020, I replaced the original DRAM -- Samsung 16 GB PC4 2133P -- with Crucial 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) DDR4 2666. At the same time, I replaced the M.2 SSD to increase capacity from 256 GB to 1024 GB. Since then, I have experienced 10 BSOD crashes including 2 per month for the past 3 months. The crashes typically occur many hours (6-36 hours) after booting and under moderately heavy use (50 browser windows, VS Code session developing a Flutter application and running the Android simulator).

I would like to run the memory at the original 2133 rate to see if this eliminates the crashes. However, the simple BIOS seems to lack the ability to control the memory frequency. Does the GL502VS support migration of the BIOS to UEFI? If not, how can I set the memory frequency?

BSOD after DRAM upgrade
which processor with model number is installed in your laptop.

dv30fps
Star I
The processor is Intel Core i7=6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz.
CPU-Z app reports DRAM freq. is 1330 MHz, which is supported by the new installed memory: Crucial 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) DDR4 2666, but faster than the original rate of the Samsung 16 GB PC4 2133P.