This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High idle battery drain due to no deep doze

Molitro
Star III
There's plenty of people reporting a higher than expected battery drain on the Zenfone 8, and while we just have to assume the cost of using an 888 snapdragon, there seems to be an issue with the system itself, causing a high idle battery drain.
The phone just never gets into deep doze, no matter how much times it spends turned off. This causes maybe twice the battery drain what it should use while doing nothing.
I'm confident in this being an issue with ZenUI itself, since no amount of wakelocks from apps would cause a literal 0 seconds of deep doze, plus I see no wakelocks or strange behaviour from any apps in either the system battery information or GSam Battery Monitor (an app that's always worked well for me in this regard).
I'm uploading to snapshots from GSam, one from the Zenfone that I just took after leaving the phone alone for 2 and a half hours, and one from my old s10e for comparison. As you can see, the Zenfone just doens't ever enter deep doze, leading, as of this moment, to a 0.7% per hour battery drain while doing nothing, a drain that's easily twice as high as it should be with a 4000 mah battery (for reference the s10e drains about 0.4-0.5% per hour with an older 3000 mah battery)
If we could get a way of fixing this, it'd go a long way to stretch the battery use of the phone.
photo5897774212863604660.jpg
photo5902240622369159250.jpg

34 REPLIES 34

woody_ww
Star III
Same experience here. Enabling ultra durable during night doesn't influence battery drain at all. Last night I managed to get a slightly better idle drain by enabling flight mode.

Molitro
Star III
Yeah, from what I can see the baseline drain is just too high (maybe the SD 888 is power hungry even when asleep?).
Tonight I did antoher monitoring, and it drained 1% per hour while in deep doze almost for the whole period due to naptime (I'll keep testing things, apparently having the phone dozing did nothing but hurt, although just one night is nowhere near data enough, obviously).
It's a shame I can't really trust the phone to endure 2 days of light use due to this high idle drain.
I trust I'll get slightly better as android does the under the hood optimising upon use, bit I don't see it making much of a difference.
I admit it's the only significant issue I'm having with the phone, it's just that I value low idle drain because I occasionally need the phone to last for as while without using it .

chantoine
Star I
Everything is standard on my Zenfone8.
Last night (first one) it lost 3% in 6 hours approx.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
We're looking at battery performance under suspend and will keep improving it.

Molitro
Star III
Originally I thought it was just the idle performance, but really it's just the baseline that's high always. Tonight it drained 0.8% per hour (and I unistalled Naptime to see if it gets back to 0.5%). But during yesterday my phone use was 3 hours of screen time with light use (reading and some browsing) and 3 hours of music over bluetooth earphones and 45 minuts of google podcast.
That was over about 13 hours. I got home at 20%. That's just too much of a drain for such a light use. Yes, it was a relatively extensive time, but just listening to music seems to drain about as much as having the screen on. If I actually did something heavy I'd be down to what, 3, 4 hours screen time?
Definitely an issue.