cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

Timo_Vos
Rising Star I
First days of using this phone, I had terrible experience with the finger print sensor. Thought about returning it.
However, I managed to register my thumb in a way that it succeeds in 90% of the cases. I registered my thumb three times in different light conditions.
Apart from the finger print issues, the phone is great!

divinesecret
Star II
Strange. When setting up my fingerprint for the first time i got like 30 messages or so that screen needs to be cleaned or try to move finger to different position, i thought it will have problems. But despite these messages i kept angling my finger just 0.1% little by little around same spot on the finger. When finally setup was done i have never experienced unlock problems, it just reads my finger every time i touch the reader no matter circumstances.

skynetDE
Star II
I also wanted to put to the table that the accuracy depends on which finger you use.
For example the thumb on my main hand - about 50% accuracy.
For my other hand - almost 100%. Closely looking at my thumbs it seems that the rifts and pits are deeper on my left hand (as it is less used assumedly)

Timo_Vos
Rising Star I
divinesecret

Strange. When setting up my fingerprint for the first time i got like 30 messages or so that screen needs to be cleaned or try to move finger to different position, i thought it will have problems. But despite these messages i kept angling my finger just 0.1% little by little around same spot on the finger. When finally setup was done i have never experienced unlock problems, it just reads my finger every time i touch the reader no matter circumstances.

View post
Same here. If registered correctly, fingerprint works OK.

erik_paladin
Rising Star I
After update to the new firmware, I can't unlock the phone with my left thumb, while the right thumb (primary hand) works ok.
I tried re-adding the prints, enabling and disabling the screen off / lift to show / tap to show options for the fingerprint reader, but no change.
It works a bit better if I turn off the pocket mode.
If i turn on the screen when I pick up the phone, it reads the (left) thumb correctly