This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little help needed: Whatsapp Backup restore problem

bert48
Star II
Hello fellow Zenfone 8 owners. I am trying to restore whatsapp with a local backupfile:(msgstore.db.crypt14 and msgstore-2021-05-23.db.crypt14)
I have placed them on the Zenfone internal storage folder: internalstorage/Whatsapp/Databases.
But Whatsapp does not find/locate them. It tries to use Google Drive (in which I have no backups) and after finding none only restores the contacts (and not the messages), it just skips the 'use local backup' check.
My question: Could somebody please check on their Zenfone 8 in which folder exactly a working copy of Whatsapp with a local backup enabled is storing the crypt14 files (or crypt12)/databases folder? And then I mean in /android or /storage or /data or???? And if
And if somebody had the same problem: How did you solve it?
Thx in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

oli_eichler
Star II
I tried it with a different old version of WhatsApp which didn't work. Tried it again with the version you (or the guy you quoted) suggested and it worked! Didn't expect that.
Cheers 😊

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Here's the solution. It's obvious but not that obvious 😝

Basically, when you've installed WhatsApp, go to settings and grant Storage & Media permissions. Then, and Only then, open WhatsApp, enter your number and boom, you'll get the pop up that a backup has been found. You don't need to install an older WhatsApp to do this. Install the latest one and just remember to enable that permission before you enter your number. Hope this helped

oli_eichler
Star II
Yeah, I did that but it didn't work (backup file wasn't found). That's why I am grateful for the solution provided by @bert48 and @Ghost