cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

tupatatapa
Rising Star I
Hi. On my ZF8 AOD disabled all the time.

skynetDE
Star II
What I noticed is that the recognition only works if your finger is held at the same angle as you had when registering the fingerprints.
Only slight deviations of lets say 10° will make it fail. One of the improvements should be possible there. I circumvented the problem by registering the same finger at different angles.
Despite of that, I also noticed that the "hardness" of your pressing has an influence on the recognition.
Last but not least, I'm not sure if the Battery Saving Option of "Reduce Touchscreen Sensitivity" has an influence on the recognition, but I just disabled it for the sake of testing. Lets see.

skynetDE
Star II
tupatatapa

I've examined the situation and found that initial fingerprint settings must be performed at full darkness in the room and at minimum display brightness. Also the fingerprint area must be pressed harder instead of just touched.

But still it's far away from what i think should be, compared to 1+8T where is just touch and go every single time.

View post
I can confirm that this does in fact improve situation. What I also noticed is that the accuracy seems to be influenced by the brightness of the area surrounding the fingerprint reader.
For example, it's much better at the menu where you can check your fingerprints in the settings (where everything is pitch black) as compared to the grey if you try to unlock something.
I assume that the light emmited by the display itself is interfering with the reader.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
For most cases where it's working "fine" , and in almost every occurance here, there is no need to "press hard" nor "keep exact same angle" but there seems to be for some users (as evident in comments here).

For these specific cases mentioned , we'll keep at it. The issue isnt 100% which makes it rather difficult to debug if it is down to the actual finger or not.

bjornbrandy
Star II
The sensor recognises the finger 80%.But what is really annoying and I'm planning to return the phone is when I take the phone out of pocket it has some sort of emergency screen in front and says I have to many failed attempts. So basically it trys to unlock in the pocket