cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

vendistomas
Star III
Hi, no improvements with updates 😞
Why ASUS got fingerpint reader in display? Why? What is the benefit? I has zenfone 5z before with fingerprinton back of phone and evrything wroked great. So with update to this phone I have much bad user experience than with old model ...😪😫

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
grzegorz.marucha

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/169415#Comment_169415

With all respect, but i do system updates imediately, added fingerprints a few times later and the problem still exists.

View post
tupatatapa

Same story here. No matter how many times i will try to register a fingerprint, the phone always says "Fingerprint sensor is dirty. Please clean and try again".

If i successfully register a fingerprint it works one of three times. It's completely useless and it's got worse with the .50 update.

I am not using screen protector and also removed all registered fingerprints.

View post
I am unsure why the FOD experience is worse for some vs. others but we will keep looking at it. Thanks!

tupatatapa
Rising Star I
I've examined the situation and found that initial fingerprint settings must be performed at full darkness in the room and at minimum display brightness. Also the fingerprint area must be pressed harder instead of just touched.
But still it's far away from what i think should be, compared to 1+8T where is just touch and go every single time.

vendistomas
Star III
tupatatapa

I've examined the situation and found that initial fingerprint settings must be performed at full darkness in the room and at minimum display brightness. Also the fingerprint area must be pressed harder instead of just touched.

But still it's far from what i think should be, compared to 1+8T where is just touch and go every single time.

View post
thx, I tried it and it little helps for me

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
@n3b @winniechan2302 @lasiczecielsko @vendistomas @tupatatapa @grzegorz.marucha @dbbanjo

Hi all
For those of you who experience consistent issues with FOD unlocking, and are also on the latest firmware (.50) - may I ask if you also have AOD enabled?

Thanks