cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

Grzemar
Rising Star I
I post here: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/48822/improve-fingerprint-sensor-in-zf8#latest
Maybe if there be lot of us, then ASUS will look at the problem. So i think if we want to change something, this post needs to be voted (yesterday has 2 pluses, now it's 0 don't know why)

n3b
Star II
@all: Sensor operation has been much better than initially as time moves forward, but still nowhere near what I'd expect. I'm not going to remove/readd my prints as suggested by Asus seeing as how it took me a while to get this to work as it is.
Asus, software improvements!

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi
Both the .44 and .50 update include Fingerprint improvements.
You may try to remove your prints and readd them.
We'll continue to look at how to improve the unlock experience with the in-display fingerprint reader.

If you are using a glass screen protector - especially glass ones - they can also cause trouble if the thickness of the glass is too thick - which unfortunately is quite common.

Thanks!

tupatatapa
Rising Star I
Same story here. No matter how many times i will try to register a fingerprint, the phone always says "Fingerprint sensor is dirty. Please clean and try again".
If i successfully register a fingerprint it works one of three times. It's completely useless and it's got worse with the .50 update.
I am not using screen protector and also removed all registered fingerprints.

Grzemar
Rising Star I
CH_ASUS

Hi

Both the .44 and .50 update include Fingerprint improvements.

You may try to remove your prints and readd them.

We'll continue to look at how to improve the unlock experience with the in-display fingerprint reader.

If you are using a glass screen protector - especially glass ones - they can also cause trouble if the thickness of the glass is too thick - which unfortunately is quite common.

Thanks!

View post
With all respect, but i do system updates imediately, added fingerprints a few times later and the problem still exists.