cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE and Wifi Calling on Zenfone 8

lukasz_szabelsk
Rising Star II
Hi all,
Does anyone know if we can expect enabling VoLTE and Wifi Calling in european networks? I can only see in settings that icons for these options are available to enable at notification bar:
screenshot-20210518-120433796.png

Also as call quality is quite poor, can we expect some improvement with software updates as enabling HD Voice codecs?
Best,
Lukasz
265 REPLIES 265

Cyslawo
Rising Star II
I can confirm bad voice quality on this phone too, it looks like it's not because of lack of volte, but something is wrong with software. On my previous lg g8, which hasn't volte and vowifi in my country voice quality was much better. When I called first time from zenfone 8 first thing that my friend asked was where I am because he could't hear me properly. Also voice quality on my side was like on galaxy mini 2 or something like that. I also checked Viber and messenger calls, i can hear people better, but they say that I'm still hardly understandable.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
WaSyL

I was considering this phone, but lack of volte and vowifi pushes me back. Also guys please note that 5G also requires operator configuration in phone, so it will not work. This should have been arranged before launch. Pity.

View post
Is there a place where Zenfone 8 is sold and 5G was not enabled? (barring operator strict whitelisting practices).

WaSyL
Star III
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/167908#Comment_167908

Is there a place where Zenfone 8 is sold and 5G was not enabled? (barring operator strict whitelisting practices).

View post
Since Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over New Radio (VoNR - for 5G) utilize the same IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) phone needs to have special 'ims' APN provisioned. When it is not there it will not work. On some phones (i.e. xiaomi) they already have ims apns configured for various network operators, you can disable so called carrier check and use volte/vowifi.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
mihhail1988

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/167348#Comment_167348

Hi, any possibility to get Volte in Estonia. Pls read my previous comment.

View post
tomyp38

Hi There,

Same problem. I'm two SIM cards, private, and company. Virgin Mobile ( MNVO owned by Play) and Orange. Both are Polish providers, and there is no Volte on any od those cards, but what is even worse, there is no HD Voice. When I'm calling someone, there is a switch from 4g++ to 3g. Quality is really poor. People asking me if I'm talking with them over headphones or is my phone broken ? I'm very supriced that brand new flagship phone can't support common and really basic technology as HD Voice is. Please improve software. I made some research and that is a fact that very few models supports Volte in Poland, but 98% devices supports HD Voice. Please again improve software.

Best

Tomasz

View post
Cyslawo

I can confirm bad voice quality on this phone too, it looks like it's not because of lack of volte, but something is wrong with software. On my previous lg g8, which hasn't volte and vowifi in my country voice quality was much better. When I called first time from zenfone 8 first thing that my friend asked was where I am because he could't hear me properly. Also voice quality on my side was like on galaxy mini 2 or something like that. I also checked Viber and messenger calls, i can hear people better, but they say that I'm still hardly understandable.

View post
I've sent you all a PM

wretchededen
Star I
Hi,
Phone: Zenfone 8 ZS590KS
Carrier: Elisa
Rooted: No
FW: Latest Stable

Previous Samsung and Xiaomi phones have VoLTE and VoWiFi in their options, the ZP8 doesn't. Our carriers say it's a generic configuration and it's up to the manufacturer to enable the option. The Samsungs are on their "validated phones" list, but the Xiaomi ones (Both Redmi and Poco series) are not on the list yet still work.
Please look into this on a more broader scale, VoLTE is not a new technology and given how interconnected the European Union is with it's roaming directives, it shouldn't be that different per carrier and per country.
TL;DR - if it worked for Spain, it will work for most if not all European countries. Please involve more people in testing if need be.
Godspeed. 🙏