PhysiTech
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone II
Firmware Version: 17.0240.2103.78
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Very high
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to the information above, please also provide as many details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Guys Please I am not here again to roast someone and I am not a software engineer I am a physicist. My phone was also causing the restart problem very frequently like every time I close some app or scrolling the home screen or plugging the phone for charging. But recently I noticed something strange, whenever i was playing PUBG mobile my phone never had a single restart and that surprised me. I was playing PUBG on extreme performance settings (90fps ultra HD) so I started to play with phone`s settings like I put my phone on X mode-120 fps and after that I got no restart. Again I am not a programming or software expert. I was just messing with settings.
Here i am sharing some screen shots of battery usage which can show how many times i got the restart.

screenshot-20210517-123826524-5b1-5d.jpg
so firstly I charged my phone to 100% and turn on X mode and 120fps setting to see the problem. After the battery discharged 50% i turned of X mode but screen referesh rate was 120fps and I got first restart which is visible in screenshot. Next I reversed the settings, turned On X mode and decresed the referesh rate to normal 60fps. ( the above screenshot had been taken after the 120fps settings turned off, after reboot). till the power decreased to 1% no restarts.
screenshot-20210518-011932823-5b1-5d.jpg
In this pic you can notice one more restart which is again caused by turning off the X mode settings to conform this. since then i am running my phone on X mode continuously and surprisingly it didn`t restart till now even on charging.
Conclusion: so if I guess the restart problem is mainly because of software not the Hardware. again guys i am not an expert but please corss check this with your phone too whoever getting this problem before replacing your power IC.
thank you
ROG Phone has a GOD like hardware with shittty software
22 REPLIES 22

Freddetj
Star III
I am a user NOT facing any issues, but still keeping an eye out for the possibility that I will one day be affected too.
Here's a guy, thinking he may have found a good thing. (Ok, perhaps posting it a little bit too confident as a solution rather than a question to the more knowledgeable people in the forum)
...Still the post, well informed or not, was written as a sign of good will and a wish to help! That was a nice thing to do and should not be pissed on by you more technically knowledgeable guys.
Yes you know more, but please politely inform the well intending poster of the right way to do this instead of being complete f..ing a..holes!
Maybe spend a little of that tech time on reading up on "manners" would be a good idea...
Update: Upon reading the entire thread I see there is piles of shit flying in both directions, so I'll leave you guys alone with your turds, dogs and asses. Enjoy yourselves. It's all very mature and classy stuff. I'll just show myself out...

ronald1985
Community Legend I
Freddetj

I am a user NOT facing any issues, but still keeping an eye out for the possibility that I will one day be affected too.

Here's a guy, thinking he may have found a good thing. (Ok, perhaps posting it a little bit too confident as a solution rather than a question to the more knowledgeable people in the forum)

...Still the post, well informed or not, was written as a sign of good will and a wish to help! That was a nice thing to do and should not be pissed on by you more technically knowledgeable guys.

Yes you know more, but please politely inform the well intending poster of the right way to do this instead of being complete f..ing a..holes!

Maybe spend a little of that tech time on reading up on "manners" would be a good idea...

Update: Upon reading the entire thread I see there is piles of shit flying in both directions, so I'll leave you guys alone with your turds, dogs and asses. Enjoy yourselves. It's all very mature and classy stuff. I'll just show myself out...

View post
The thing is, this have already been addressed politely by moderators and the community. There is nothing else that can be made clearer than "visit the service centre".
The OP claimed he isn't an expert, but yet he doesn't listen to others. But yet, he has seen multiple responses from different people indicating to go to the service centre.
OP might feel he is getting picked on, but the nature is everyone is trying to help and if you act aggressively before and now, expect the same. I think DanishBlunt has explained why it is the chip. I learnt something new from his post.
Let's take this forward together that we should never be fighting each other. The world is in need of happiness at this time in the midst of the pandemic.

hugo_nvs
Star I
Since I don't have an asus service center in my country, the only work around I found was using black shark pro fan. Since the phone is always cooled it doesn't restart.

sauravshanbhogu
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

Clueless user suggesting instead of replacing dying PM8150 make it die completely instead. I don't know why some people have this urge to come up with some stupid ideas how to somehow blame it on something else because they refuse to accept reality. It's well documented that the PM 8150 chip is dying and that it causes black screens, restart issues and phone not turning on.

Can't wait for the topic "Phone doesnt turn on, has to be a software issue!"

For those who are curious why his workaround works for the time being is simple. The more the power IC degrades, the less capable is it of holding stable voltages. So when doing mondane tasks or pushing the device to the limit will cause these restarts, much like when your VRM's on PC also cannot keep up no more. When you turn on xmode, then it will automaticly force the device to run in a sort of "turbo" mode, now this is known to push uneccecary amount of voltage to the chip, so having more unstable voltage won't cause a restart, however this does is accelerate the rate of which the power IC chip is dying and potentially even damaging the SoC due to even more unstable high voltage instead of lower voltage causing restarts, now if the SoC gets damaged, ASUS might not offer a free repair, replacing a cheap PM8150chip is no problem and it is for free from what I can gather on the forums, but replacing a high end SoC because of the stupidity of a user is a whole other problem.

So if you face restart issues, don't be stupid like OP, get it repaired instead of trying to kill your PM8150 entirely and the SoC along with it.

View post
Thanks for the info. I had the same issue and had my MB replaced and it's been close to 8 months and so far I've had no restarting. I am not aware of this PM8150 IC so can you please tell if this got fixed with the MB replacement?? Like we are talking about the same issue right?.
Also is there any possibilities of this happening again and me having to have it replaced again??

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
sauravshanbhogue

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/167357#Comment_167357

Thanks for the info. I had the same issue and had my MB replaced and it's been close to 8 months and so far I've had no restarting. I am not aware of this PM8150 IC so can you please tell if this got fixed with the MB replacement?? Like we are talking about the same issue right?.

Also is there any possibilities of this happening again and me having to have it replaced again??

View post
When they say mb replacement they replaced your ic chip on the logicboard. As far as im aware they replace the power ic with a much stronger and reliable chip, so after this you shouldnt have any restart issues anymore.