This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical lines in RAW+JPG manual photo mode in low light (above 800 ISO)

edddd
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 7 Pro
Firmware Version: 30.41.69.51
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: Always on two different Zenfones
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Camera
========================================
Vertical lines in RAW+JPG manual photo mode in low light (above 800 ISO). This occurred on two different Zenfones and the local service was so far incompetent. The issue does not occur in 16MP and is barely noticeable on 64MP JPEG-only shots.
p-20210420-154449-small.jpg
Put it on a black table and take a manual RAW+JPG photo of complete darkness. For me this is reproducible on two Zenfones. One with replaced camera cable and one brand new out of the box.
p-20210418-133533-small.jpg
I don't need help ASAP, just wanted to let ASUS know that something is going on there potentially on whole batches of phones and that the local service partner is incompetent. He tried to replace the camera cable to no avail, now says the mobo or camera module needs replacement. Lo and behold: second (actually 4th in total, but I did not use this feature before because I did not know it existed) new Zenfone with same problem.
Good light shots are always fine. There are no flickering lights.
4 REPLIES 4

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
edddd

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Zenfone 7 Pro
  2. Firmware Version: 30.41.69.51
  3. Rooted or not: no
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always on two different Zenfones
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Camera

========================================

Vertical lines in RAW+JPG manual photo mode in low light (above 800 ISO). This occurred on two different Zenfones and the local service was so far incompetent. The issue does not occur in 16MP and is barely noticeable on 64MP JPEG-only shots.

p-20210420-154449-small.jpg

Put it on a black table and take a manual RAW+JPG photo of complete darkness. For me this is reproducible on two Zenfones. One with replaced camera cable and one brand new out of the box.

p-20210418-133533-small.jpg

I don't need help ASAP, just wanted to let ASUS know that something is going on there potentially on whole batches of phones and that the local service partner is incompetent. He tried to replace the camera cable to no avail, now says the mobo or camera module needs replacement. Lo and behold: second (actually 4th in total, but I did not use this feature before because I did not know it existed) new Zenfone with same problem.

Good light shots are always fine. There are no flickering lights.

Vertical lines in RAW+JPG manual photo mode in low light (above 800 ISO)
This is perfectly normal in low light shots since Jpeg+RAW uses 64MP and no noise reduction.
16MP mode has much higher light sensitivity and 64MP jpeg mode enables noise reduction. In Pro mode, we turn noise reduction off so it can be applied with photo software afterwards like photoshop.
There's nothing wrong with your phone. Just an inkompetente service guy who doesn't know this 😄

edddd
Rising Star I
Ok, this is interesting. One thing that really confused me is that the service guy sent me some RAW photos and almost no stripes were present there and his settings were the same, just a bit different lighting situation:
service.png
Mine:
mine.png
Can this be caused by the difference in lighting? I think I have observed this myself, but not sure.
All in all, I'm having a total blast taking photos. Crystal clear and sharp 64MP, can't wish for more (well, the rolling shutter is sometimes in the way, but I can just switch to 16MP for that).

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
edddd

Ok, this is interesting. One thing that really confused me is that the service guy sent me some RAW photos and almost no stripes were present there and his settings were the same, just a bit different lighting situation:

service.png

Mine:

mine.png

Can this be caused by the difference in lighting? I think I have observed this myself, but not sure.

All in all, I'm having a total blast taking photos. Crystal clear and sharp 64MP, can't wish for more (well, the rolling shutter is sometimes in the way, but I can just switch to 16MP for that).

View post
Most probably different lighting. The longer exposure needed to capture, the more of these limitations in the sensor will be seen. When lighting is this dim, it's better to use auto mode or even night mode which will bracket several pictures together to create a much better quality

edddd
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166955#Comment_166955

Most probably different lighting. The longer exposure needed to capture, the more of these limitations in the sensor will be seen. When lighting is this dim, it's better to use auto mode or even night mode which will bracket several pictures together to create a much better quality

View post
Thanks for clearing it up. Now that I know it's by design my OCD will be satisfied.