fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
After updating to A11 I started to see major issues with the battery optimizations, mostly on Gmail app, but once I started to investigate I see it overall. Email notification come with hours , if not tens of hours delay , which was not the case on A10. I noticed that even whether app is not updating in timely fashion.
It looks like phone goes to hibernate and not resumes for notification only once in a couple of hours if not more. Strangely but whatsapp is working fine. I have disabled all battery optimizations and I saw some improvements but not that good as in A10. Yesterday for instance, I lost a couple of important emails since they Gmail App only synchronized once in 10 hours....which is unacceptable.
Factory reset does not help since I have done it at least 7 times due to various issues since A11 update a week ago...

Please help!!!! I don't know what else to look for!
130 REPLIES 130

fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
As I said before...I see a lot of issues lately with A11 and I think the root cause is somewhere else. I have checked and double checked and triple checked all the settings, even factory reset the phone many times, this appear to come from the way apps are killed (or dozed ). Something in A11 is preventing apps to refresh.
I have stopped all the battery optimizations and the issues are still there. The whether widget for instance is not refreshing as well on the screen unless I go directly in the app. And like this there are a lot of apps that do nothing until you open that app.
And the steps that were provided should be used mostly as a workaround and not as fix. I checked my wife's pixel 3a and all apps are optimized and she has no issues whatsoever. The issue lies somewhere in the A11 code for Zenfone 7. What I have now were the same on A10 and everything was working fine. Since A11 update I missed emails, calendar notifications, instagram notifications, sometime bank apps don't send notifications, whether app widget is not updating and for sure I think that if there is an app that is supposed to work in background and send notifications it won't work....
Battery optimizations are there to make thinks optimized ( work in background and not eat to much battery ) but even with that disabled some things are not working. But even so disabling battery optimizations should not be a solution but a workaround as I said.
And I am sure that the calendar problem happens to all users , so I think the devs should reproduce it easily, but are either incompetent or working on something else for now ( maybe a new phone release?! Just saying...)

fear_dot_com_20
Rising Star II
Oh, and I forgot to mention. Now you cannot uninstall the calendar app is part of the system apps. You can only uninstall updates. If I remember correctly on A10 I had to install the calendar app manually from the Playstore. Same for gmail. Am I wrong? If I am right maybe the problem lies in the A11 image build...

martin_stavinoh
Rising Star II
fear_dot_com_2000

As I said before...I see a lot of issues lately with A11 and I think the root cause is somewhere else. I have checked and double checked and triple checked all the settings, even factory reset the phone many times, this appear to come from the way apps are killed (or dozed ). Something in A11 is preventing apps to refresh.

I have stopped all the battery optimizations and the issues are still there. The whether widget for instance is not refreshing as well on the screen unless I go directly in the app. And like this there are a lot of apps that do nothing until you open that app.

And the steps that were provided should be used mostly as a workaround and not as fix. I checked my wife's pixel 3a and all apps are optimized and she has no issues whatsoever. The issue lies somewhere in the A11 code for Zenfone 7. What I have now were the same on A10 and everything was working fine. Since A11 update I missed emails, calendar notifications, instagram notifications, sometime bank apps don't send notifications, whether app widget is not updating and for sure I think that if there is an app that is supposed to work in background and send notifications it won't work....

Battery optimizations are there to make thinks optimized ( work in background and not eat to much battery ) but even with that disabled some things are not working. But even so disabling battery optimizations should not be a solution but a workaround as I said.

And I am sure that the calendar problem happens to all users , so I think the devs should reproduce it easily, but are either incompetent or working on something else for now ( maybe a new phone release?! Just saying...)

View post
exactly!! I've reported that in the BETA already
I disabled all the possible restrictions, configured everything to be able to run in the background, in perf mode etc but none of that helped to be 100% reliable and still some apps are not delivering notifications, there is obviously something wrong in the system, once the issue is triggered I found no way to get the notifications back (only device reboot solves that), I mean when notifications stop working I go into the affected app, it does its job (loads content, show notification) but that's it, when I leave the app, I won't get any new notification from it unless I open it again

Roystoys
Zen Master III
This is a real pity,I was all revved up to purchase the ZenFone 8 asap but now I all I can do is wait and see if it does indeed have the same bugs as the Z7.
Maybe it's time to move on , I am curious what the OnePlus is like anyway

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Roystoys

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166380#Comment_166380

The only problem I personally have is with the calendar app

If you set a reminder you don't get any notification at all, you do if you set a task or a goal but not for reminders. As stated above by, Skipwoof,if you uninstall the updates for the app you get alerts for reminders but as soon as you update it again you stop getting notifications.

It sounds like a Google app bug but Skipwoof pointed out that it works fine on A11 with a Nokia phone so it is just confusing???

I just purchased a Nokia g 10 for my wife so I will be able to see first hand what's what, once it arrives ( about a week or so.

Having said that there are problems with notifications on A11 so many people are having issues. I have one with a notification on the pull down drape with, driving mode, . For some reason sometimes after using Google maps while connected to my van I get a notification on the drape saying, driving mode tap to exit,or something like that but if you tap exit driving mode the notification just stays there until you restart the phone. Bizarre as it is only happens sometimes

View post
I believe the Google Calendar reminder is a different/separate issue and it should be easy to find/fix as I'm able to replicate it on both ZF6 and ZF7. ZF8 and allt the ROG phones i tried does not have this bug.
fear_dot_com_2000

View post
Have you given the weather app permission to auto update (every 30min-12h)? You do this inside the app
I still need your help to figure out why your device won't update. I will PM you again