This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FN+Arrow Keys no longer change aura brightness of the keyboard_ Brand New Asus TUF A15 FA506QM

rnogueira611
Star II
System: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Asus TUF A15 FA506QM (R7 5800H + RTX 3060 + 16gb 3200mhz)
Frequency of occurrence: Always happening, since a few days ago
Reset OS: Not yet
Screenshot or video: -
========================
Detailed description:Every Hotkey works perfectly, including the FN+RIGHT/LEFT hotkey to change the aura mode, but the FN+UP/DOWN stopped working a few days, I haven't done anything in particular to cause this problem, the pc is brand new, i got it 10 days ago, it is pretty much stock.
Help please.
Also, when I run diagnostics on MyAsus app, it doesn't let me see the result for some reason.
127 REPLIES 127

Diskun
Star I
Hi Blake,
I have attached a video of the issue.
I'm on the latest firmware (406). Downgrading to 405 didn't change the keyboard behavior. These are the only two available.
I also tried reinstalling the Asus SysConInt V2 driver, keyboard behavior still the same.
I'm a L3 SysAdmin and worked in support so I'm familiar with troubleshooting procedures. This is what I've tried so far, testing the keyboard hotkeys on each step:
Unplugged all peripherals.
BIOS set to default values.
Full Windows reinstallation (fresh, all partitions removed prior, like factory)
Tried with no drivers.
Tried with the Windows Update automatically provided drivers.
Tried with the latest drivers and firmware from the support page.
Applied firmware hotfix from the above URL (Version V005 - 2021/02/02 130.23 KBytes - PD Firmware - Applicable to BIOS 400 or above version) What does this even do by the way?
Installed MyAsus and Armoury Crate, applied available updates.
Tried reinstalling the SysControlInterface V2 driver V3.0.4.0 (latest).
Tried downgrading to SysControlInterface V2 driver V3.0.2.0 in case the latest version caused any issues.
None of these solved the issue. No other software or drivers apart from the essentials were installed for these tests.
Prior to this issue I was using my laptop for a mix of work (MS Office, Teams, Citrix apps, Powershell coding, etc) and gaming (Cyberpunk 2077, Apex Legends). Then suddenly two days ago I lost the ability to change my backlight intensity unless I do it by hand on Armoury Crate.
Since I already performed a system reset I'm unable to check whether I got a firmware update that caused this in the past. However the issue persists even in BIOS (previous to this I was able to control the keyboard backlight at any time) so it must be some firmware patch related to the keyboard lighting hotkeys.
Also it seems I'm not the only affected user so the update must have been automatically applied either as a Windows Update or a MyAsus/ArmouryCrate.

rnogueira611
Star II
Diskun

I have the exact same issue on the very similar ASUS TUF A15 2021 FA506QR (R7 5800H + RTX 3070 + 16gb 3200mhz).

Until a few days ago everything was fine. Now FN + Arrow Left/Right (<Aura / Aura>) changes lighting mode but FN+Arrow Up/Down won't change keyboard backlight level. Also I'm not getting an on-screen prompt for FN+Up/Down anymore.

Keyboard backlight can be set on Armoury Crate app, but not by using the keyboard shortcut. Not even on the BIOS screen, which means something must be broken at a firmware level.

This used to work until a couple days ago. I don't recall getting any updates recently that could have triggered this. I have tried everything, even formatting the system and reinstalling Windows from scratch which I just finished doing. It proved to be a waste of time.

This is really inconvenient and makes me wonder why a feature such as keyboard backlight depends on unreliable software from ASUS. My old laptop didn't require any software for basic keyboard lighting control.

View post
I have EXACTLY the same issue...
Tried more or less the same things and nothing so far.
Is there any solution out there?

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Diskun,
May you try the latest ASUS System Control Interface v3 V3.0.5.0?
If it still does not work, please kindly send the device to our service center.
Really sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you.

Diskun
Star I
Blake_ASUS

Hello Diskun,

May you try the latest ASUS System Control Interface v3 V3.0.5.0?

If it still does not work, please kindly send the device to our service center.

Really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

View post
Hi Blake,
I'm afraid that didn't help. However I'm not sending my three weeks old laptop for service since I'm currently on the move and I already discarded my old device. I refuse to send an entire laptop to service due to a software-caused issue, and thus, I'd like a software-based solution that doesn't involve a long turnaround time. Unless it can be replaced on-site, of course.
Moreover, replacing the laptop probably won't guarantee I won't get the same issue again due to a firmware update.
Could you please try and contact someone in ASUS who is familiar with the keyboard firmware?
I'm willing to assist you in troubleshooting this as much as you want, but replacing an entire machine just because of a keyboard firmware issue sounds unreasonable to me.

Diskun
Star I
ps. Proof of the driver update. Of course I rebooted my PC after.
asus-png.png