Star I
System: 20GB Ram 1tb ssd 2tb hdd
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Vivobook A15 F512J
Frequency of occurrence: constant
Reset OS: not/yet
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:I am removing windows and installing linux opensuse for a USB boot. I can not get access to the ssd drive. It does not show up and when I probe around with folders I found I do not have permission to access it. I need to scrub my notebook and have access to ssd and hdd drives to install linux. How to I get acces sto my ssd drive?
20 REPLIES 20

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
rherbert
  1. System: 20GB Ram 1tb ssd 2tb hdd
  2. Battery or AC: Both
  3. Model: Vivobook A15 F512J
  4. Frequency of occurrence: constant
  5. Reset OS: not/yet
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:I am removing windows and installing linux opensuse for a USB boot. I can not get access to the ssd drive. It does not show up and when I probe around with folders I found I do not have permission to access it. I need to scrub my notebook and have access to ssd and hdd drives to install linux. How to I get acces sto my ssd drive?

Changing OS System to Linux Opensuse
try to change disable uefi mode, disable security boot in bios , then boot usb drive , try to install on ssd .
or
try to change enable uefi mode, enable security boot in bios , then boot usb drive , try to install on ssd .
or
make bootable linux os pendrive as GPT type and then try to change enable uefi mode, enable security boot in bios , then boot usb drive , try to install on ssd .
or
make bootable linux os pendrive as MBR type and then try to change disable uefi mode, disable security boot in bios , then boot usb drive , try to install on ssd .

Note use RUFUS software to make bootable Pendrive

rherbert
Star I
I had already (1) disabled fast boot and (2) disabled secure boot. I have not been able to locate uefi in bios to disable it. I have tried with a usb boot for fedora and opensuse tumbleweed. I cannot try to install on my notebook's ssd since that is the drive that does not show up even when running gnome disc utilities from a usb boot of fedora.
When I run fedora off a usb boot and open up folders, I am able to find "Computer" [ssd] and "DATA[HDD]" [hdd] drives but when view I select properties I can access my hdd drive but not my ssd since I am not the owner of "root" and I do not have permission. I did look around in my notebook, with windows running, and noted that my ssd [OS(C:)] is owned by "TrustedInstaller" and I cannot change ownership. Also, do not have access to my EFI System Partition on C:.
Is there something to enable/disable/select in Bios to reveal an option to diable uefi? I will give it a try but "permissions" and "ownership" will not be affected by uefi.
As for a pendrive, that will not affect ownership either.
Thoughts?

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
rherbert

I had already (1) disabled fast boot and (2) disabled secure boot. I have not been able to locate uefi in bios to disable it. I have tried with a usb boot for fedora and opensuse tumbleweed. I cannot try to install on my notebook's ssd since that is the drive that does not show up even when running gnome disc utilities from a usb boot of fedora.

When I run fedora off a usb boot and open up folders, I am able to find "Computer" [ssd] and "DATA[HDD]" [hdd] drives but when view I select properties I can access my hdd drive but not my ssd since I am not the owner of "root" and I do not have permission. I did look around in my notebook, with windows running, and noted that my ssd [OS(C:)] is owned by "TrustedInstaller" and I cannot change ownership. Also, do not have access to my EFI System Partition on C:.

Is there something to enable/disable/select in Bios to reveal an option to diable uefi? I will give it a try but "permissions" and "ownership" will not be affected by uefi.

As for a pendrive, that will not affect ownership either.

Thoughts?

View post
You already installed windows os on SSD only without extra partitions is SSD.
so SSD is onwed by trusted installer.. so thats why you cannot access SSD on booting linux.
if you don't bother about the files on SSD windows os installed then, you need to clean the disk SSD disk.
follow below steps.
remove HDD from laptop.
format SSD using command prompt by blotting windows 10 os dvd.
remove dvd.
insert Linux bootable pendrive, boot with this, try to install linux on SSD.
note before doing above steps , Raed the instruction manual how to install opensuse os opensuse official website.

rherbert
Star I
I am not concerned about any files on this computer as it was just purchased and has no data on it. I allowed windows to install to dd an image of it [for future firmware updates]. But, I could not do that as I did not have access to my ssd.
Do I need to remove the hdd [which is empty] to reformat the ssd? It is a reformat since I also need to scrub off the EFI boot partition as well.
Also, I am not as skilled at this as my notes suggest. In that regard, I do not know what "blotting windows 10 os dvd" is or entails. Nor do I know what/where there is a dvd in my system. Help?
My install of linux with ssd and hdd is not an issue, done enough of those.