This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Quality after .189 update

Saran
Rising Star II
I have updated to .189 manually since Indian users didn't receive FOTA , the call quality is better than before with less distortion/screeching than before but it's still there and still the volume during calls is low, can't hear in louder environment, @Anders_ASUS  you said it will be fixed in the next update , were you talking about .189 or/and also you said you don't know the ETA about the fix ,so it's not completely fixed in this update ? What is it then ?
14 REPLIES 14

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
GamerArc

CH_ASUS said:

Saran said:

CH_ASUS said:

Saran said:

I have updated to .189 manually since Indian users didn't receive FOTA , the call quality is better than before with less distortion/screeching than before but it's still there and still the volume during calls is low, can't hear in louder environment, @Anders_ASUS ; you said it will be fixed in the next update , were you talking about .189 or/and also you said you don't know the ETA about the fix ,so it's not completely fixed in this update ? What is it then ?

Hi,
.189 and .191 (for IN users) have the latest improvements. We will continue monitoring and find ways to keep tweaking the audio performance but there are also limitations to the earpiece receiver itself. 

Oh, Man, you are making me nervous, so whatever you do the call quality will not be on par with other devices with ordinary earpiece ?

It's difficult for us to judge what you expect from an "ordinary earpiece". We have been tuning the quality throughout the past months. In my own opinion, comparing the quality now , I personally find it better than several "normal earpiece phones" but also not as good as some other "normal earpiece phones".  

By 'several' you mean the cheap midrangers and by ''other' you mean the budget flagships competing in 6z's price bracket.

Bad earpiece quality is a massive flaw. Asus did not execute its testing well b4 releasing the phone or maybe asus thinks that talking on a SD855 phone is the last thing a user does.

I have now made peace with the fact that in trying to push the phone bezel less asus went overboard and scewed the call quality which will never improve due to inherent design limitations.  This alone is a deal breaker for me but I am stuck with this phone now.

SELFIES ARE LESS IMPORTANT THAN TALKING OVER PHONE. ASK ANYONE!!!!!

View post
We're comparing to more expensive phones, similarly priced phones and cheaper ones. I can say from my own experience comparing with these (using latest FW) in different environments that our earpiece is performing as it should. It's not the best, the more expensive phones sounds better but we're definitely on par with the similar priced phones. Most of the phones that I compare with are similar in design, meaning that they have a popup camera of some sort.
The only environments where I agree that it's very hard to hear what the other person is saying, is when you, the other or both of you are in a VERY loud environment. By VERY I mean a crowded bar with drunk people shouting, or a Night club with blasting music.
We know that there are countries such as India where you find your self in places every day with people shouting, cars honking and so on.
If these users find that the sound quality is not good/loud enough, then unfortunately there's not much we can do. These users would have the same problem if they bought another phone with an all screen design at a similar price. My solution to these users is to use earphones when they are in these noisy environments because we can't push the speaker to go louder.

shyamprabhu_g
Rising Star I
@Anders_ASUS , I understand that the earpiece volume cannot be raised too much without having any distortion as a result. But, can Asus provide an option similar to outdoor mode for earpiece call volume also? I am not trying to compare other manufacturers here, but just to give you an idea. Huawei has something called loud mode (for earpiece volume for calls) it can be activated just by increasing the in-call volume to one level above max volume. So, if I am in a loud environment and the in-call volume in the earpiece is not sufficient even at max level, then I just tap the vol + button once again and the loud mode is toggled on. When not required, I can just press vol - once (while on a call) and the loud mode gets deactivated. So, basically it is something like Max_vol + 1. This ensures that the earpiece does not suffer distortion unless the loud mode is activated.
I see that many people in the forum are complaining about in-call volume in the earpiece. Can something like this be provided as part of the software update in the future? It is theoretically very similar to the outdoor mode that the Zenfone 6 already has. So, I think it should be feasible to expand the feature to the earpiece as well.

Saran
Rising Star II
I hope call quality gets better in the future updates.

GamerArc
Rising Star II
New Innovations come with their own set of issues. But points to Asus for being bold.

Saran
Rising Star II
Innovation alright , below average call quality cannot be disregarded as a simple thing for a 500$ phone.