This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

rishabhrajisaws
Star III
Danishblunt

So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.

Now how was this achieved?!

As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.

To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂

I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.

I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting
here's my id: rishabhrajisawsm@gmail.com
Can you please suggest me the solution for this black crush issue I even went to the service centre for that but they didn't do Jack shit there so I really need your help on this.

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
rishabhrajisawsm

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/47138/rog-3-display-fully-calibrated-no-more-color-banding-bl...

Can you please suggest me the solution for this black crush issue I even went to the service centre for that but they didn't do Jack shit there so I really need your help on this.

View post
For that , you have to realise that you have to unlock bootloader which will void your warranty and you will not recieve FOTA from asus anymore
If you dont know what you are getting into than i suggest you to take your time , do some research and have some knowledge before unlocking bootloader
I even suggest you to wait till A11 coz mods told us thst they have passed the querry to devs about how danish made a fix so i really hope they might be working on it so it is good to wait until official stable A11 is released
But hey, i you really want to unlock your bootloader , you can have the fix
And mods @Gustav_ASUS , @ARP_ASUS people are voiding their warranty just for the sake of better of better display calibration including me and many other who have already unlocked thier device , so i dont blame you guys are you are not devs but you guys should inform devs about this so that people are not forced to unlock thier device

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
rishabhrajisawsm

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/47138/rog-3-display-fully-calibrated-no-more-color-banding-bl...

View post
As mentioned before multiple times I will not share anything on this platform. Reasons stated beforehand.

jerquait
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163901#Comment_163901

At this point I'll assume you're an elaborate troll. You're literally asking me to interpret things, call obejctive reasning hateful and still dodge the photo uploading like a professional dodgeball player. I won't bother with you anymore as I can see there is nothing to get from you oher than subjective rambling.

You ask me all the time for more photos but what photos?

I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago.

Gee I wonder what photos I ask for. Also you go out of your way to make pictures, yet you then "delete" them. Why on earth would you make pictures if you have your "trusty eyes" if not to share it? You make 0 sense.

So you say that Samsung selling uncalibrated displays?

That's exacly what they do. The fact you think otherwise demonstrates you absolute lack of knowledge.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/oneplus-8-pro-best-samsung-display-pixelworks-calibration_id125646

If panels were calibrated properly from the factory why do you think do companies like pixelworks try to calibrate the display when it's already calibrated? You're hopefully not going to come up with some BS story. Also by your logic that means all panels are not savable because they are calibrated, so S9, S10, S20 (SD), S20 ultra (SD), M51, Oneplus 8 pro are all doomed devices because they have broken calibrated screens, just showcasing what your lack of understanding implies here.

Stop the troll, thanks.

@jerquait

This is your 10x better samsunsg display in the Oneplus 8 pro:

1290494-1022c5c38928cafe2e7ccab56b52e649.jpg

1337896-0af28e9b2e2468053bace50b2093bf7d.jpg

oneplus-8-pro-display.jpg

Here is the OP 8 pro vs Samsung Note 20 vs Rog 3 vs Black Shark 3 pro:

swap-262-visibility-angle-angle-crop-1024x215.jpg

Rog 3 easy win in terms of viewing angles

swap-422-contrast-hdr-crop-1024x462.jpg

Rog 3 wins again, only phone that did not fk up in highlights, albeit the brightness was rather set high.

While the Rog3 has some trouble thanks to miscalibration it can easily compare and beat high end panels when calibrated properly no problem.

Why don't you sell the rog3 and buy a samsung? You seem to love them.

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-M/m51-black-crush-issue/td-p/6086396/

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/anyone-facing-display-black-crush-or-dark-crush/td-p/49...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/S20-FE-black-crush-issue/td-p/1481995

Oh no your superior samsung panels all have color banding and black crush. Must be an error right?! I mean Samsung panel best panel, how can this happen?! Must be haters, must be users hating!! Perfecly calibrated samsung S9 panel that still has black crush and color banding in 2021?! Nonono.

( I feel I have to put a disclaimer here and say that I am being sarcastic on the top statement on "superior" samsung panels )

View post
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163901#Comment_163901

At this point I'll assume you're an elaborate troll. You're literally asking me to interpret things, call obejctive reasning hateful and still dodge the photo uploading like a professional dodgeball player. I won't bother with you anymore as I can see there is nothing to get from you oher than subjective rambling.

You ask me all the time for more photos but what photos?

I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago.

Gee I wonder what photos I ask for. Also you go out of your way to make pictures, yet you then "delete" them. Why on earth would you make pictures if you have your "trusty eyes" if not to share it? You make 0 sense.

So you say that Samsung selling uncalibrated displays?

That's exacly what they do. The fact you think otherwise demonstrates you absolute lack of knowledge.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/oneplus-8-pro-best-samsung-display-pixelworks-calibration_id125646

If panels were calibrated properly from the factory why do you think do companies like pixelworks try to calibrate the display when it's already calibrated? You're hopefully not going to come up with some BS story. Also by your logic that means all panels are not savable because they are calibrated, so S9, S10, S20 (SD), S20 ultra (SD), M51, Oneplus 8 pro are all doomed devices because they have broken calibrated screens, just showcasing what your lack of understanding implies here.

Stop the troll, thanks.

@jerquait

This is your 10x better samsunsg display in the Oneplus 8 pro:

1290494-1022c5c38928cafe2e7ccab56b52e649.jpg

1337896-0af28e9b2e2468053bace50b2093bf7d.jpg

oneplus-8-pro-display.jpg

Here is the OP 8 pro vs Samsung Note 20 vs Rog 3 vs Black Shark 3 pro:

swap-262-visibility-angle-angle-crop-1024x215.jpg

Rog 3 easy win in terms of viewing angles

swap-422-contrast-hdr-crop-1024x462.jpg

Rog 3 wins again, only phone that did not fk up in highlights, albeit the brightness was rather set high.

While the Rog3 has some trouble thanks to miscalibration it can easily compare and beat high end panels when calibrated properly no problem.

Why don't you sell the rog3 and buy a samsung? You seem to love them.

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-M/m51-black-crush-issue/td-p/6086396/

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/anyone-facing-display-black-crush-or-dark-crush/td-p/49...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/S20-FE-black-crush-issue/td-p/1481995

Oh no your superior samsung panels all have color banding and black crush. Must be an error right?! I mean Samsung panel best panel, how can this happen?! Must be haters, must be users hating!! Perfecly calibrated samsung S9 panel that still has black crush and color banding in 2021?! Nonono.

( I feel I have to put a disclaimer here and say that I am being sarcastic on the top statement on "superior" samsung panels )

View post
Still I would say ROg3 has worst panel..atleast they don't have colour banding. And you have caliberated rog 3 by yourself then you are comparing it with samsung...you should compare rog 3 without your personal caliberation.customer buy phones to use it and not self caliberate it....okay.. and by the way nobody is interested in buying this waste piece of shit from me...I have already posted an ad online for selling this rog 3... Why don't you buy it from me. I will be more than glad to sell this waste of money

ronald1985
Community Legend I
jerquait

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163914#Comment_163914

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163914#Comment_163914

Still I would say ROg3 has worst panel..atleast they don't have colour banding. And you have caliberated rog 3 by yourself then you are comparing it with samsung...you should compare rog 3 without your personal caliberation.customer buy phones to use it and not self caliberate it....okay.. and by the way nobody is interested in buying this waste piece of shit from me...I have already posted an ad online for selling this rog 3... Why don't you buy it from me. I will be more than glad to sell this waste of money

View post
You are missing the point. What Danish is saying that the panels are calibrated at the factory for Samsung devices using similar techniques. This is why you see better images on screen than ROG because ROG is not calibrated as DanishBlunt has proven. So, if ASUS does similar/same changes that DanishBlunt has made on his device - your device will be calibrated. Danish does have a ROG 3, why would he get another one?
But anyway, "still I would say ROG 3 has worst panel", what do you mean by that then? Is it because it isn't calibrated?