This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163867#Comment_163867

I dont dodge you. I never said that I made any comparison online. I had 2 weeks for return after purchase to test ROG 5 as much as I could. I made test for myself and I spend a lot of time for it. I do not make reviews or comparisons online. Dont have time for that. I just came here to ask for green tint which is the only one reason for refund.

I didnt even talk about Mi 10T "display wash out", which is not the focus here. I just showed you Mi 10T to make you know how it looks like on ROG 5. Why are you attacking me so hard suggesting that I have no knowledge? I just pointed that there is no sense to make any comparison for colors with camera and S7 is boosting colors on ROG 5, which is far away from reality. You can keep saying that "it reveals existing hidden colors", this is your opinion, but it will lead you nowhere. That has even no sense to think that there was hidden orange in dark (orange banding in Batman scene), when ROG 5 is lacking orange so much.

Yes, humans eye is not perfect and every eye is different. You dont see colors like me and I dont see colors like others. So everyone should test display for himself and do not using online reviews which are mostly useless.

You say that professionals use tools to calibrate displays. I just thinked about it some time ago. Why displays are not calibrated well and why we have so much green tint or red tint in many devices? Are they not calibrating displays? No. They just dont have proper calibrating tools. When I can see such a defect with my naked eye, why calibration tool failing so much? Your reference to the "perfect tools" is very mistaken.

I believe that you are very experienced in displays but sometimes such people doesnt see the simplest solutions. Very often new people, with little knowledge, have better and fresher view on some problems. You cant be so stubborn.

After spending a lot of time with Mi 10T and ROG 5, I can say that ROG has very good display and it could outperform Mi 10T easly, if display calibrated corretly.

Rendering to dodging... You didnt answer me if you see Black crush on my photos and where it is and how it looks like. You said only about banding. I still didnt find Black crush in ROG 5 as you describing.

View post
Is this some elaborate troll?
quote 1: I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago.

quote 2: I made test for myself and I spend a lot of time for it. I do not make reviews or comparisons online.
So you're telling me uploading said photos taken take so much time? Kinda doubt it.

quote 1: I didnt even talk about Mi 10T "display wash out", which is not the focus here.

quote 2: Left phone is Mi 10T, right ROG 5. In this photo you can see that left side is dull
Yes you did.

Why are you attacking me so hard suggesting that I have no knowledge
Citation please, I'm not sure where I supposedly suggested you have no knowledge nor that i "attacked" you.

I just pointed that there is no sense to make any comparison for colors with camera and S7 is boosting colors on ROG 5, which is far away from reality. You can keep saying that "it reveals existing hidden colors", this is your opinion, but it will lead you nowhere. That has even no sense to think that there was hidden orange in dark (orange banding in Batman scene), when ROG 5 is lacking orange so much.
I'm not going to repeat myself.

Yes, humans eye is not perfect and every eye is different. You dont see colors like me and I dont see colors like others. So everyone should test display for himself and do not using online reviews which are mostly useless.
This would be a horrible stance to take. That way we might as well throw all calibration tools out and just let displays look awful with the comment: "We think it looks great with our eye".
You say that professionals use tools to calibrate displays. I just thinked about it some time ago. Why displays are not calibrated well and why we have so much green tint or red tint in many devices? Are they not calibrating displays? No. They just dont have proper calibrating tools. When I can see such a defect with my naked eye, why calibration tool failing so much? Your reference to the "perfect tools" is very mistaken.
Correct, professionals use tools such as SpyderX to calibrate displays, no professional who has anything to do with displays and color reproduction will ever use an uncalibrated screen.
Not calibrated well? Displays are usually not calibrated at all. Also you stating a company like ASUS with millions of USD don't have the budget to get a 200USD calibration tool is ridicolous. You clearly do not understand how displays and calibration tools work at all. So refrain to talk about the matter.

I believe that you are very experienced in displays but sometimes such people doesnt see the simplest solutions. Very often new people, with little knowledge, have better and fresher view on some problems. You cant be so stubborn.
How many displays have you calibrated in the past? Oh yes, none. It's like saying sometimes its better to let your neghboor do your teeth because experienced dentists don't see the simplest solutions. It's ridicolous.

As for the last part you still don't upload all the pictures you took. Not only that but:
You didnt answer me if you see Black crush on my photos and where it is and how it looks like.
You didnt once ask me to point any black crush on your photos. If you think so citation please (you will fail on this if you try).

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163883#Comment_163883

Is this some elaborate troll?

quote 1: I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago.

quote 2: I made test for myself and I spend a lot of time for it. I do not make reviews or comparisons online.

So you're telling me uploading said photos taken take so much time? Kinda doubt it.

quote 1: I didnt even talk about Mi 10T "display wash out", which is not the focus here.

quote 2: Left phone is Mi 10T, right ROG 5. In this photo you can see that left side is dull

Yes you did.

Why are you attacking me so hard suggesting that I have no knowledge

Citation please, I'm not sure where I supposedly suggested you have no knowledge nor that i "attacked" you.

I just pointed that there is no sense to make any comparison for colors with camera and S7 is boosting colors on ROG 5, which is far away from reality. You can keep saying that "it reveals existing hidden colors", this is your opinion, but it will lead you nowhere. That has even no sense to think that there was hidden orange in dark (orange banding in Batman scene), when ROG 5 is lacking orange so much.

I'm not going to repeat myself.

This would be a horrible stance to take. That way we might as well throw all calibration tools out and just let displays look awful with the comment: "We think it looks great with our eye".

Correct, professionals use tools such as SpyderX to calibrate displays, no professional who has anything to do with displays and color reproduction will ever use an uncalibrated screen.

Not calibrated well? Displays are usually not calibrated at all. Also you stating a company like ASUS with millions of USD don't have the budget to get a 200USD calibration tool is ridicolous. You clearly do not understand how displays and calibration tools work at all. So refrain to talk about the matter.

How many displays have you calibrated in the past? Oh yes, none. It's like saying sometimes its better to let your neghboor do your teeth because experienced dentists don't see the simplest solutions. It's ridicolous.

As for the last part you still don't upload all the pictures you took. Not only that but:

You didnt answer me if you see Black crush on my photos and where it is and how it looks like.

You didnt once ask me to point any black crush on your photos. If you think so citation please (you will fail on this if you try).

View post
Oh, I see now how you toxic are. You pointing everything with so much hate.
"This thing what you call "banding" occurs in Mi 10T Pro too, but it is less visible, because lower contrast. As I said, if you max your contrast, you will see this "banding" effect.
I though that people call it black crush. So what is that black crush? Just losing details (black areas and things not visible)?"
Yes, I didnt ask it directly, but this is interpretation of my question. I asked you earier about Black crush and you suggested me to watch Batman trailer. I didnt find any "missing details" in whole trailer and you said earier that Black crush results with losing details. So why all the time you keep telling that ROG 5 has Black crush when you cant point any example which can show it on my device?
You ask me all the time for more photos but what photos? Why should I losing my time to trying find Black crush or making random photos to show you something that I dont see on my device? I find only one issue in Batman movie and I put the best example of it. There is no sense to making more photos.
You have ROG 3 so you could tell which scene you want, instead: "give me all photos or I will hate you".
Calling me troll, because you dont understand is disgusting.
I said that I made many photos with S7 to compare both devices (I did it because that was strange behavior that photos expose colors on ROG 5 incorrectly). But have you ever though for one second that I do not have this photos anymore? Do you keep every photo made in your life? I checked what I checked and deleted. But I can say that there was no issues with missing details, which you call Black crush. Yes, this is problem to send photos from S7 everytime you request, because I dont have S7 with me and it doesnt connect with USB to my PC. I have to send it from S7 to another device. I wont do that everytime you say "give me more photos" without saying excactly what photo you want. Who do you think you are? Im not your slave to do everything what you say.
So you say that Samsung selling uncalibrated displays? And you are one of this people who calibrate displays, because Samsung doesnt do that? Okey.
With your attitiude there is no sense to talk with you anymore. I could discuss every sentence with you, endlessly.
Keep being the one of this "display calibrators" which Samsung is lacking.
Bye.

mrxsin
Star III
Well, color banding is an inaccurate colour presentation. It happens when values within a gradient get pushed so much that there is no color/value in actually represent.
Black crush means that details in the very dark areas are lost. You are right, black crush is "just losing details black areas and things not visible"
Here an example.
Danishblunt

So as of today the 21.03.2021 color banding has been defeated. Now at the beginning I was under the impression that the crappy color banding was caused by pixelworks and guess what?

It wasn't.

Infact the reason this happened was actually because of ASUS not wanting to implement any type of gamma correction at all, while other manufacturers like nubia and oneplus have infact added gamma correction in their kernels. So today I simply stole some code from Oneplus 8 kernel like the naughty naughty boy I am and magic has happened. So what are the results of this?

https://i.imgur.com/wL3zpMR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Pbx8qvI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dg2BBO0.jpg

Now as you can see the difference is absolutely insane. Blacks have returned, no pixelation and the screen looks absolutely georgous! Honestly this screen after calibration seems absolutely amazing, ASUS was not lying when they said that these panels are actually high quality. Granted the quality of the screen cannot be seen in those pictures very well as smartphone cameras have great difficulty catching stuff in the dark with huge amount of details. I took a closer shot as well to show that even the black crush is quite in check as well:

https://i.imgur.com/fVy9I8g.jpg

How exacly an absolutely new guy like me who has extremely little experience with kernel development could fix an issue i looked at in weeks while the experienced asus team didn't get the solution until this date is beyond me right now. I hope that the devs will fix it very soon now that they know they can simply nab code from nubia or oneplus and some modifications, today my SSD died with my ubuntu and kernel sourcecode on it, so only thing I have left is a flashable zip file that would most likely crash on 75% of rog3 devices due to extreme amount of undervolt, i will still share to those who want to try, but successrate won't be high :'D

At this point I want to thank Freak07 for introducing and helping me to get into kernel development much faster than I would have taken by myself.

Colorbanding defeated
If you scroll down, you will know what it mean.

jerquait
Star III
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163891#Comment_163891

"This thing what you call "banding" occurs in Mi 10T Pro too, but it is less visible, because lower contrast. As I said, if you max your contrast, you will see this "banding" effect.

I though that people call it black crush. So what is that black crush? Just losing details (black areas and things not visible)?"

Yes, I didnt ask it directly, but this is interpretation of my question. I asked you earier about Black crush and you suggested me to watch Batman trailer. I didnt find any "missing details" in whole trailer and you said earier that Black crush results with losing details. So why all the time you keep telling that ROG 5 has Black crush when you cant point any example which can show it on my device?

You ask me all the time for more photos but what photos? Why should I losing my time to trying find Black crush or making random photos to show you something that I dont see on my device? I find only one issue in Batman movie and I put the best example of it. There is no sense to making more photos.

You have ROG 3 so you could tell which scene you want, instead: "give me all photos or I will hate you".

I said that I made many photos with S7 to compare both devices (I did it because that was strange behavior that photos expose colors on ROG 5 incorrectly). But have you ever though for one second that I do not have this photos anymore? Do you keep every photo made in your life? I checked what I checked and deleted. But I can say that there was no issues with missing details, which you call Black crush. Yes, this is problem to send photos from S7 everytime you request, because I dont have S7 with me and it doesnt connect with USB to my PC. I have to send it from S7 to another device. I wont do that everytime you say "give me more photos" without saying excactly what photo you want. Who do you think you are? Im not your slave to do everything what you say.

So you say that Samsung selling uncalibrated displays? And you are one of this people who calibrate displays, because Samsung doesnt do that? Okey.

With your attitiude there is no sense to talk with you anymore. I could discuss every sentence with you, endlessly.

Bye.

View post
Samsung's display anyday is 10 times better compared to asus that's a fact.. even a Samsung's phone with half a price has better display than asus. difference between 120hz and 144hz is very negligible...

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163891#Comment_163891

Bye.

View post
At this point I'll assume you're an elaborate troll. You're literally asking me to interpret things, call obejctive reasning hateful and still dodge the photo uploading like a professional dodgeball player. I won't bother with you anymore as I can see there is nothing to get from you oher than subjective rambling.

You ask me all the time for more photos but what photos?

I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago.
Gee I wonder what photos I ask for. Also you go out of your way to make pictures, yet you then "delete" them. Why on earth would you make pictures if you have your "trusty eyes" if not to share it? You make 0 sense.
So you say that Samsung selling uncalibrated displays?
That's exacly what they do. The fact you think otherwise demonstrates you absolute lack of knowledge.
The Pixelworks interview: how OnePlus took a Samsung display and made it betterIf panels were calibrated properly from the factory why do you think do companies like pixelworks try to calibrate the display when it's already calibrated? You're hopefully not going to come up with some BS story. Also by your logic that means all panels are not savable because they are calibrated, so S9, S10, S20 (SD), S20 ultra (SD), M51, Oneplus 8 pro are all doomed devices because they have broken calibrated screens, just showcasing what your lack of understanding implies here.

Stop the troll, thanks.

@jerquait
This is your 10x better samsunsg display in the Oneplus 8 pro:
1290494-1022c5c38928cafe2e7ccab56b52e649.jpg

1337896-0af28e9b2e2468053bace50b2093bf7d.jpg
oneplus-8-pro-display.jpg

Here is the OP 8 pro vs Samsung Note 20 vs Rog 3 vs Black Shark 3 pro:
swap-262-visibility-angle-angle-crop-1024x215.jpg
Rog 3 easy win in terms of viewing angles

swap-422-contrast-hdr-crop-1024x462.jpg
Rog 3 wins again, only phone that did not fk up in highlights, albeit the brightness was rather set high.

While the Rog3 has some trouble thanks to miscalibration it can easily compare and beat high end panels when calibrated properly no problem.
Why don't you sell the rog3 and buy a samsung? You seem to love them.
m51 black crush issuehttps://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/anyone-facing-display-black-crush-or-dark-crush/td-p/49...
S20 FE black crush issueOh no your superior samsung panels all have color banding and black crush. Must be an error right?! I mean Samsung panel best panel, how can this happen?! Must be haters, must be users hating!! Perfecly calibrated samsung S9 panel that still has black crush and color banding in 2021?! Nonono.
( I feel I have to put a disclaimer here and say that I am being sarcastic on the top statement on "superior" samsung panels )