This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163792#Comment_163792

You're not quite right, the camera catches details that are hard to see with the naked eye. Thats why I asked if its possible for some more pictures to get a more clear picture. I am aware that pictures have a strong tendency to not look like the real thing, for instance on the picture the mi10 looks super washed out even tho in reality thats not the case and the Rog5 while having a green tint isnt that extremely greened out. I just want to get behind the picture processing of the rog5.

View post
Maybe, but in this case, Im totaly right. I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago. S7 expose colors which are not even possible.
I think you are just overcomplicating this problem and that's the reason why Asus didnt fix it yet or will never fix it. I watched a lot of movies on ROG 5 and didnt see any problems like on Batman 2021 trailer, this is low quality video or incorrectly converted or something else.
Everything is fine in the ROG 5, but I will return it only because green tint. It is not acceptable. I will try to buy it again later and check if green tint is so strong again.

Mostwanted
Rising Star II
rishishahu112

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163229#Comment_163229

Can you name or share a forum you post in

View post
Google Search, XDA , TG

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163793#Comment_163793

Maybe, but in this case, Im totaly right. I already did many photos with S7 comparing Mi 10T and ROG 5 few days ago. S7 expose colors which are not even possible.

I think you are just overcomplicating this problem and that's the reason why Asus didnt fix it yet or will never fix it. I watched a lot of movies on ROG 5 and didnt see any problems like on Batman 2021 trailer, this is low quality video or incorrectly converted or something else.

Everything is fine in the ROG 5, but I will return it only because green tint. It is not acceptable. I will try to buy it again later and check if green tint is so strong again.

View post
Where are those photos? Could you share those?

uvukee
Star III
Saifuddin

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163758#Comment_163758

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163755#Comment_163755

If you can , then instead of comparing with flagship of 2020 or 2021 , compare with old samsung like s7edge or onplus 7 t , 7pro or 7t pro then you will have a better idea

View post
I just compared with S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro. One of the testing scenes was popular Black crush joker scene. I see that S7 Edge is losing details with 0% brightness. Some areas become completly black.
ROG 5 is not losing any detail.
I dont see the point trying to find Black crush in my device when it performs better than this two devices at the lowest brightness in dark scenes.
It looks like my ROG 5 doesnt have this problem.

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163794#Comment_163794

Where are those photos? Could you share those?

View post
Why dont you test it yourself? I already wasted too much time for it. This is Asus job, not mine. Im customer and I can choose to buy or not. Im not a developer to making my own phone. If phone is bad, I just dont buy it.
Sorry for my anger, but I'm not a guy who will "sink" with already "sinking" phone.
What about photos? I will give you just one example.
img-20210422-090627.jpg
This is the same photo made with Mi 10T, displayed on both devices. Above photo was taken with S7. Left phone is Mi 10T, right ROG 5. In this photo you can see that left side is dull, right is more purple. In real, left side was more purple and very realistic, right was very dull.
So what happened here? S7 processed colors incorrectly. Added lacked colors to ROG 5 which "didnt exist". The same was with Batman scene. You see orange banding on ROG, but that orange didnt exist, S7 just added lacking colors, and ROG is missing Red. This is as Simple as that.
So I cant agree that testing with taking photos is better "because it reveals things that eye doesnt see”. Human eye is the best testing device, because displays are made for eyes, not for cameras.
I just refunded my ROG 5. If something does not meet my expectations, I just dont keep it. This is simple solution and there is no sense to fight with that, at least for me. I can live without ROG, and I can say to Asus: "try better next time".
Good luck.