This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
Yes s7edge losses details in extreme low becoz nevertheless its an old technology but if you put it more than 50% its still beats quite a lot new display even with new displays 100% brightness

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

I just compared it with S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro. One of the testing scenes was popular black crush Joker scene. I see that S7 Edge losing details with 0% brightness. Some areas become completely black.

ROG 5 isnt losing any detail. I see no point to trying find the black crush on my device anymore, when it performs better than S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro in dark scenes at the lowest brightness.

It looks like my ROG 5 isnt affected by black crush.

View post
Could u use batman 2021 trailer as a refrence and compare vs the mi10t? Its the perfect testing device.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Like make comparison pictures with thr s7. It would be nice for data gathering

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
I have a s7 and oneplus 7t both to make comparisons but it will be pointless if i do it as i already fixed mine rog 3 and i dont have rog 5 so someone who have all 5 might help us rog 3 rog 5 s7 OnePlus 7t mi 10t

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163767#Comment_163767

Could u use batman 2021 trailer as a refrence and compare vs the mi10t? Its the perfect testing device.

View post
Now I see something that people call it "Black Crush", but this is visible mostly in this video which isnt good quality. I can see it on Mi 10T Pro and others devices but not as much.
This is not any color problem. This is just big contrast of display. Nothing wrong. Also doesnt see any "missing details or things" like you posted earlier with the screen.
Just run this trailer on your PC monitor and put the contrast to the max. U will see your "black crush" visible.
Gaming phones must have big contrast, this is very common. If you want to watch movies, just dont go for ROG phone. This is very simple solution.
Yea, we could have option to control contrast of display, it would be nice, but I dont see there any problem as it is a gaming phone.
But while comparing movies with Mi 10T Pro I see one very big problem - disgusting green tint on ROG 5 😕