This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 display fully calibrated, no more color banding, black crush or red tint at any setting

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So after some of you may have seen my "colorbanding defeated" topic, I have cleared the color banding issue and the next ones where fixing black crush (not pixalation, but dark scenes being so dark you cannot see anything) on very low brightness level and red tint, today I've finally done it. Finetuned everything to absolute perfection, the panel achieves lower brightness level even compared to other phones such as Samsung S21, Oneplus 9 pro, Sony Xperia II without losing any details to crushed blacks. Even at "0%" brightness, no red tint is visible on any videos, no matter how dark they are.
Now how was this achieved?!
As already mentioned from the very beginning when I first started the journey, this solution did require a dynamic solution. It's simply not enough to just have 1 calibration profile and hope it would work, you do need multiple profiles based on the brightnes for the panel in order to fix the panel completely. This is the first phone to my knowledge that does not suffer from any type of tint without minimum brightness being extremely high or IPS panel (after fix), most phones have green tint such as oneplus, samsung, Iphone and currently stock Rog3 has red tint. So far manufactuers have been trying to fix the tinting by upping the minimum brightness so that the screen cannot go low enough to have noticable tint, which I find a bad solution especially for a person like me who is quite sensitive to light.
To all who already have my solution, you know where the find the update 🙂
I hope the ASUS devs will also implement dynamic profiling on the rog3 screen as well, there is such an incredible potential. I also hope that other manufacturers will finally start doing the same, it's so sad to see so many great panels being under utilized because of nobody being bothered to handle it correcly.
I will derp a little more trying to see how low I can get brightness wise until it becomes impossible to not have black crush, after that I'll show you guys the incredible results ^.^

104 REPLIES 104

uvukee
Star III
Danishblunt

here is a showcase of what I mean with black crush on rog5:

img-20210317-112449-304.jpg

Top Rog5, bottom Mi10 ultra.

as you can see the blue curtain just dissapeared, it's gone. The blacks crushed details and the picture.

View post
And again. Tried a lot of dark scenes in completly dark room. Changing brightness from 100% to 0% and every detail is still visible and display looks nice, no Black crush or anything. But there is no sense to make screen less than 30% because screen is very dark even in completly darkness.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163691#Comment_163691

And again. Tried a lot of dark scenes in completly dark room. Changing brightness from 100% to 0% and every detail is still visible and display looks nice, no Black crush or anything. But there is no sense to make screen less than 30% because screen is very dark even in completly darkness.

View post
Thats the problem with the phone, it's crushed on all settings. This is why you should take another phone to compare. You'll see what I mean.

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163755#Comment_163755

Thats the problem with the phone, it's crushed on all settings. This is why you should take another phone to compare. You'll see what I mean.

View post
uvukee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163691#Comment_163691

View post
If you can , then instead of comparing with flagship of 2020 or 2021 , compare with old samsung like s7edge or onplus 7 t , 7pro or 7t pro then you will have a better idea

uvukee
Star III
Saifuddin

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163758#Comment_163758

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163755#Comment_163755

If you can , then instead of comparing with flagship of 2020 or 2021 , compare with old samsung like s7edge or onplus 7 t , 7pro or 7t pro then you will have a better idea

View post
Just compared with S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro. One of the testing scenes was popular Black crush Joker scene. I see that S7 Edge losing details with 0% brightness, some areas go so dark that are not visible.
ROG 5 phone is best out of this two devices. Doesnt losing any detail. I dont see the point to trying find black crush when it performs better than S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro with 0% brightness.
Now Im sure that my device is not affected by Black crush.

uvukee
Star III
I just compared it with S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro. One of the testing scenes was popular black crush Joker scene. I see that S7 Edge losing details with 0% brightness. Some areas become completely black.

ROG 5 isnt losing any detail. I see no point to trying find the black crush on my device anymore, when it performs better than S7 Edge and Mi 10T Pro in dark scenes at the lowest brightness.

It looks like my ROG 5 isnt affected by black crush.