cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 5 throttles while gaming

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
thermalthrottling.png
Well after LTT and GSMarena have noted throttling I was still wondering how the phone would perform in genshin impact. Someone finally used perfdog to note the FPS down over a longer period and to nobodies surprise I guess, it throttles. Red magic 6 seems like a much better for gamers at this point.
19 REPLIES 19

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163170#Comment_163170

And?

You think genshin impact only runs on cpu? All he does is stress the cpu while the gpu isnt doing anything.

Why do you think does the rog5 get crapped on by the rm6 above? Because the rog5 throttles under loads like genshin impact.

Taking only 1 out of 2 major components and stress test it isnt a throttlingtest.

View post
I didn't even watched the full video , i just gave you the link of the video that other users are referring to 😬😬

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
yosef019

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Rog 5
  2. Firmware Version: 18.0830.2101.86
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): 3d wildlife

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

d7-9e-d7-a1-d7-9a-2021-04-21-092156.jpg

d7-9e-d7-a1-d7-9a-2021-04-21-092129.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNqY4Nh3130&t=422s&ab_channel=E-GotTech

Rog phone 5 Trotles at 33C !!! with Xmode On

Another throttling moment.
For those wondering, how the phone can throttle at 33c, well the 33c is the system temperature. The problem here is as I explained, the back part of the cooler isnt exacly good at transfering heat from the chips to the backplate, so even if you use the best phone cooler which is the black shark one, the phone will still throttle because the SoC will exceed 100c.

uvukee
Star III
My ROG 5 reached 58C while playing Genshin Impact without fan and X mode. Didnt experienced throttling and max allowed temp. was set at low. 58C was burning my hands at the middle but still was fine to hold at the sides.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
uvukee

My ROG 5 reached 58C while playing Genshin Impact without fan and X mode. Didnt experienced throttling and max allowed temp. was set at low. 58C was burning my hands at the middle but still was fine to hold at the sides.

View post
It does throttle, wheter you like it or not. Run perfdog while playing 15min+ genshin and you'll see it does throttle much like it does on the video and picture posted above. It's well documented at this point that the rog5 does throttle quite a bit.

yosef019
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/163687#Comment_163687

It does throttle, wheter you like it or not. Run perfdog while playing 15min+ genshin and you'll see it does throttle much like it does on the video and picture posted above. It's well documented at this point that the rog5 does throttle quite a bit.

View post
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/47306/rog-phone-5-trotles-at-33c-with-xmode-on

Another throttling moment.

For those wondering, how the phone can throttle at 33c, well the 33c is the system temperature. The problem here is as I explained, the back part of the cooler isnt exacly good at transfering heat from the chips to the backplate, so even if you use the best phone cooler which is the black shark one, the phone will still throttle because the SoC will exceed 100c.

View post
whatsapp-image-2021-05-02-at-08-52-43.jpeg
whatsapp-image-2021-05-02-at-08-52-46.jpeg
yes phone trotles at 30~ C with black shark cooler and this is without Xmode
with Xmode its an 90% stability so its trotle also