Battery or AC: Battery
Model: zenbook ux434-flc
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS: n/a
Screenshot or video:
image.png
========================
Detailed description:
I've had my zenbook for around 6 months now and while I love it, I have to say the battery life is quite disappointing. It runs 3 to 4 hours at most with just chrome on-- far from the advertised 12 hours. I don't expect my battery life to be as advertised, but I've never gotten it close to even 6 hours even with just basic use. Is this normal? What can I do to fix. I ran a battery diagnostic and this is what it said.
5 REPLIES 5

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Please kindly check if your BIOS and windows update are all up to date.
ZenBook 14 UX434|Laptops For Home|ASUS GlobalAnd have you tried to adjust your power option?
Thank you.

amandairl_10
Star II
Hi Blake,
I've checked and all my windows updates are up to date, but my battery still only indicates 1h37min left at 50% even with just chrome and my brightness set at less than half. My BIOS is UX434FLC.306 but I cant confirm if that's the latest version. Looking at the ASUS site, it says the last update was July 2020, which was before I bought my laptop. I'm assuming this means it's updated too?
My power option is Asus Recommended. I tried putting it on balance before but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Thank you.

MotoWiZ
Rising Star II
To see if battery has problems or to check how it is I recommend the following:
Press windows key + R;
Type cmd and press enter;
In the command prompt run the following command: powercfg /batteryreport
See where the report was stored, and through file explorer open the battery-report.html that was created.
There you can see lots of battery feature including:
Design capacity;
Full charge capacity;
Number of cycles battery as been through;
Recent Battery usage;
battery life estimates, etc;
Very useful and this way you can check if there's something wrong with the battery.
If everything seems ok, then you should check your hardware/software configuration, and check if there's some software that is power hungry/consuming, not directly but perhaps it keeps you CPU working when it should be idle.
For this, the simplest way would be:
Press windows key + R;
Type resmon and press enter;
Click the CPU tab, for example. Order CPU column from high to low by pressing CPU label on the table, and see if there's a service or hidden software that is demanding high CPU usage, for example;
Click the other tabs (memory, disk, network) and see if you find something suspicious.
Hope this helps.

potatosubwoofer
Rising Star II
amandairl.10

Hi Blake,

I've checked and all my windows updates are up to date, but my battery still only indicates 1h37min left at 50% even with just chrome and my brightness set at less than half. My BIOS is UX434FLC.306 but I cant confirm if that's the latest version. Looking at the ASUS site, it says the last update was July 2020, which was before I bought my laptop. I'm assuming this means it's updated too?

My power option is Asus Recommended. I tried putting it on balance before but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you.

View post
I just found out something that might help when using chrome - if your device has a discrete GPU you can set chrome to only use the Intel GPU to avoid powering up the discrete one when it's not required. You can do it from the Nvidia control panel.