Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog Phone 5
Firmware Version: WW_18.0830.2101.86
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Happened once for now
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
screenshot-20210409-214717564-1.jpg
Playing Genshin Impact with X Mode + level 3 attached with aeroactive 5 cooler with Bypass charging mode (using original rog phone 5 Charger adapter + usb)
Suddenly a loud notification alarmed, i didn't know what happened, so after few minutes close the game and back to home screen, see notification pop out as the picture.
This is very unexpected, a Gaming Rog Phone overheated? Would really appreciate if Moderator can help explain what does the picture notification actually mean?
should I actually bring the phone to Asus Service Center? does it actually break my gaming phone because i gaming on it?
18 REPLIES 18

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Slnn3R

I think maybe just Genshin Impact max graphic too taxing, i played it like 1 or 2 hours+ if nt mistaken, temp consistently stay at 55+ degree celsius or 50+ while plugged in both Aeroactive 5 cooler and bypass charging mode.

I turn down some graphic option for genshin impact player for around 40min-1hrs remain at 50+ or 45+ degree celsius while having aero active 5 cooler and by pass charging so far no issue.

Played soul knight around 39-40 degree celsius seem fine too for 1hours gaming session.

I guess everything still fine at the moment, just I am kind of not content with fact that even using aero active cooler 5 that cost a ton, we still can expecting there is a game out there will cause USB Port overheat issue.

the 3.5mm jack port is ok i guess, mostly i use Bluetooth earphone, but the jack port is a big bonus and working fine as expected.

View post
Yeah genshin is an very intensive game
This year's aero active cooler is designed to directly cool the cpu
But in bypass mode maybe the phone will be heated more while playing genshin maybe?
Bypass essentially stops battery % at what you enabled it at but phone's internals still take power from the charger
A game like genshin might be a little too taxing on the device after longer durations
But again rog does fare better than other 888 powered phones

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Aryan202

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/162146#Comment_162146

Hey but this is just an "your phone port is hot just let it cool down for a bit" notification not autostart,black screen issue which plagued rog 2's

I have even seen it once or twice on my Zenfone 5z while charging and gaming,I let ot cool for 5-10 minutes and good to go again

It's normal for phones to warn about this

Plus op said he played genshin on max settings for 2 hrs with bypass mode enabled

Bypass mode only doesn't charge the battery or use it for that matter and directly powers the internals so I think over a duration a heavy game as genshin will heat up the phone and in his recent comment he did say after playing for the same duration he didn't face that pop up again

Things like thermals depends on ambient too though

I'm not arguing and I obviously know you have more technical information about this stuff just pointing out what I think 🙂

View post
The warning implies citical temperatures, as already mentioned these errors are NOT normal, they imply an overheating problem. The error popped up for rog2 users as well, people ignored it and it further evolved into black screen and crashing, then into death of rog 2 phones aka the pm8150 chip. Telling them to "just cool off" is not a solution, on your phone you could make a case that its simply not designed to be under heavy load nonstop, but a gaming phone should. It's like having a PC that overheats and instead of repasting it, I'll tell the customer, "its fiiiiiinnnnnnne, just let it cool off until it's 2 late and it damaged something".
It's ridicolous. OP can trash his phone for all I care, I just want to make sure once other users see this that they know your post is absolutely dumb.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Aryan202

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/162133#Comment_162133

Yeah genshin is an very intensive game

This year's aero active cooler is designed to directly cool the cpu

But in bypass mode maybe the phone will be heated more while playing genshin maybe?

Bypass essentially stops battery % at what you enabled it at but phone's internals still take power from the charger

A game like genshin might be a little too taxing on the device after longer durations

But again rog does fare better than other 888 powered phones

View post
As already done on your other thread, I have debunked that video quite easily as it's just dumb and wrong on so many levels the rog5 performs notably worse than the BS4 pro and red magic 6, I ahvent checked the lenovo legion dual yet, but i wouldnt be surprised if they also did a better job considering their lenovo won in terms of performance vs the rog3 back then.
Also not "this years design", literally every rog phone cooles the SoC aka the CPU + GPU, I don't know whats wrong with you but stop spreading nonsense. It does a poor job of this thanks to the stupid design on the back with the 2nd vapor chamber, you can see more at jerryrigs video.
Correct, bypass stops the battery from being in the circut, which makes the error even worse, because this means when charging the battery something is already close to dangerously overheat, this isn't good for the lifespan of the device to say the least. So far it indicates to another power chip that is underspecced so I expect ASUS to either get a better chip or we will have the rog2 fiesta all over again.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/162205#Comment_162205

As already done on your other thread, I have debunked that video quite easily as it's just dumb and wrong on so many levels the rog5 performs notably worse than the BS4 pro and red magic 6, I ahvent checked the lenovo legion dual yet, but i wouldnt be surprised if they also did a better job considering their lenovo won in terms of performance vs the rog3 back then.

Also not "this years design", literally every rog phone cooles the SoC aka the CPU + GPU, I don't know whats wrong with you but stop spreading nonsense. It does a poor job of this thanks to the stupid design on the back with the 2nd vapor chamber, you can see more at jerryrigs video.

Correct, bypass stops the battery from being in the circut, which makes the error even worse, because this means when charging the battery something is already close to dangerously overheat, this isn't good for the lifespan of the device to say the least. So far it indicates to another power chip that is underspecced so I expect ASUS to either get a better chip or we will have the rog2 fiesta all over again.

View post
I'm seeing this a lot with other 888 powered too though the overheating part
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/07/oneplus-9-pros-are-overheating-but-a-fix-is-planned/
The Amazon reviews for that phone are filled with heating related complains
The global sales for Rog 5 will kick off pretty soon now so I'd say let's wait and watch how it turns out hopefully this doesn't have to go the same way Rog 2 did with its motherboard issues
If you check it out Zenfone 6 and Rog 2 (both 2019 phones) had that issue
And true playing a game like genshin on Max settings with bypass mode probably will heat up the phone a lot