This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern lock crashes ob zenfone 3

johnb
Star I
When I boot the phone, I have to enter the pattern to unlock. I enter the correct pattetn and it does not unlock. I know it is the correct pattern, because if I enter it incorrectly it shows "incorrect pattern." eventually, It opens. When I go to security definitions to turn it off, I have to enter the pattern again. It repeatedly crashes and will not let me modify it. I am running Android 8 and have the latest versions of Android and zenui for this phone. Short of erasing the phone and resetting it, which will involve hours of reconfigurations and sw downloads, how can I turn off the pattern lock and revert to a password?

3 REPLIES 3

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi johnb
Thank you for your asking. Kindly try some at-home troubleshooting tips below:
1. Please try to enter "Safe Mode". If the function works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check any disturbance from installed 3rd party apps.
# How to enter and exit "Safe Mode"

[Phone] How to Enter and Exit Safe Mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global2. Please try the following steps to access recovery mode for the Factory Reset:
0. Try to back up your data with USB cable. If you can not access the phone, please check if your google account or microSD card have auto backup your data. 
**Please note that once the steps are completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.
[Phone] How to back up the data stored in your phone ? | Official Support | ASUS Global1. Power off the phone, then keep pressing "volume down key"
2. Press "power key" and stop press " power key" once you feel the vibration. Still keep pressing "volume down key".
3. Stop press "volume down key" once you enter [Android Recovery] Screen
4. Choose "Wipe data/factory reset">"Yes"
5. "Reboot system now"
#Hardware Reset Guide
[ZenFone] How to do hardware reset on your phone? | Official Support | ASUS Global

johnb
Star I
Thanks Christine. I'm hoping to avoid a reset. One question: If I do a factory reset, does it revert to the factory installed version if Android, or will it keep the current version?

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi johnb
The Factory Reset will wipe all data and remain on current firmware version (if your firmware is official one). Thank you.